New to Android - a few questionsSupport

1. ducpiloti

ducpiloti Well-Known Member

So, I just bought a new Lenovo Ideapad A1 running Gingerbread. So far I have removed the default Lenovo launcher and replaced it with Launcher Pro and installed a few more apps from the Market, no problems.

I also downloaded a terminal app "Terminal Emulator" and got to the command line but it looks like basic Linux commands are not working "more", "clear", "uname" etc. Are these not supported in Android?

Another problem I am having is with closing open programs. Many programs still continue running and consuming precious RAM even when I "back arrow" exit out of them. Do I need to force kill these each and every time? Doesn't seem very refined to me.

I downloaded "Advanced Task Killer" and it appears some items are running as persistent background services immune to getting killed, when I kill them they just reappear in the task list again - for instance Google Talk & Facebook. I have a different Google ID on the tablet and I can see it from my desktop in Google Talk that even when the tablet is in standby (power off, screen blank) that user is "online". I just want to logout of all services. How do I do this? I don't want the tab on standby using WiFi and draining the batt.

Final question - how do I root this thing? I have SuperOneClick downloaded on my PC, I connected the tab via USB but when I tried to run SuperOneClick the program just froze and nothing ever was done to the tab.

Ideally I would like to root it and then run an SSH daemon on the tab so I can connect to it through my PC. THANKS GUYS appreciate any help :)

Oh, BTW I am new to Android incase that wasn't already clear :D

Advertisement
    :
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Many commands are, but for most of them you need to be root.

Do NOT force kill them. Android is basically Linux so high RAM usage is normal and actually a good thing.

Uninstall the task killer. Using task killer is both unecessary and wastes battery power. Search the forum or Google for piles of info why this is so. Just let Android handle processes and memory. It does a very good job.

Rooting methods vary widely depending on hardware and software. Clearly Super One Click will not work for your tab. Google is your friend.

Can definetly be done.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator