• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to android and eager to learn......!

Just switched from Blackberry platform and acquired a Samsung Galaxy S5. Very excited but facing a steep learning curve. Any suggestions for some learning tools to get me going? Checked on the Dummies book but most of the reviews say it covers all the benefits of the phone but no step by step guide on how to put them to use. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I'm not a techie so looking for something in easy to understand language. Thanks........:thinking:

The first thing to do on any new Android device is to sign in to any accounts that you intend to use. I'm not sure how much touchwiz(Samsung's UI skin) has changed, but this is typically achieved by following this process:

1 - go into Settings. I'm not 100% on the current location of that menu on Samsung devices, but they can generally be reached from the swipe-down menu.

2 - look for the section called "Accounts". Sign in to any g-mail accounts you have, and Facebook if you so desire. You may have to download apps to get certain accounts to show.

3 - There should be a menu for every account that controls what items to sync, such as contacts, email, calendars, etc. Adjust this according to your needs and preferences.

Another important thing for any phone is inputting your contacts. I'm not sure what method you use for contact storage on BlackBerry, as I'm completely unfamiliar with their ecosystem. There should be a way to either export them as a .csv file or transmit via bluetooth. Once you have them on your Samsung, I would highly recommend syncing them with your gmail account. That will enable you to seamlessly transfer them to any future android phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones