• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android and Galaxy S5 email issues

Gregg Collum

Lurker
Dec 13, 2014
Hello -- I have decided to abandon IOS and move to droid.
I am tech savvy and have experienced an issue that is strange with the mail app included on galaxy 5s (ATT)

1. I have all pop3 accounts
2. I use MS office 365 --outlook 2013
3. All settings are configured exactly the same on both pop3/smtp settngs on phone and within my MS OL2013
4. Mail is set NOT to be deleted from servers BOTH phone and OL.

ISSUE: When I download and display an email in OL 2013 that email is NOT picked up by email app on phone? ALL Settings set exactly as described above.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your input!
Gregg

I have that symptom also between different email applications.

Once you have read a message in one application, the other apps will note that "that message" has already been read and will not download it for you. I resolve this by marking the messages as "unread" and then move on. That way, when Mozilla Thunderbird downloads my email off Yahoo, it will get everything in the INBOX. It will SKIP messages that are already read.

However, that said, I am using Blue Mail on my S5 and it is downloading the complete Yahoo Inbox precisely the way I leave it from my Desktop PC's web browser. It shows unread in BOLD and read messages as LIGHT colored.

Might be worth a try for you.

* Blue Mail - Email App - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
I have that symptom also between different email applications.

Once you have read a message in one application, the other apps will note that "that message" has already been read and will not download it for you. I resolve this by marking the messages as "unread" and then move on. That way, when Mozilla Thunderbird downloads my email off Yahoo, it will get everything in the INBOX. It will SKIP messages that are already read.

However, that said, I am using Blue Mail on my S5 and it is downloading the complete Yahoo Inbox precisely the way I leave it from my Desktop PC's web browser. It shows unread in BOLD and read messages as LIGHT colored.

Might be worth a try for you.

* Blue Mail - Email App - Android Apps on Google Play
Thanks -- I'll give it a try!

Upvote 0
Ok back to basics here
Pop3 mail boxes are a simple in and out and not ment for Long term storage
Now Microsoft will let you view mail online
Now the way to view and not remove is via outlook.com even if you have read this it will still be downloaded
if you use a cliant sutch as a app or outlook or 365 they use a Push and Pull
Push = Send and Pull =Receive
As soon as you click send and receive it will empty the mail box, this will remove all the mail and place this in your inbox on your PC Only and can no longer be viewed in any other way.
The same applies with the email app this pulls messages but you can set this how fare back it goes and it will only pull in what you tell it to and leave the rest behind.
Now there is a work around and that is to use Gmail to receive emails from your email account and you can tell it to leave the mail in there
I do this and my secretary gets the main mail but i get a copy to my email
Sorry if this is Long winded but it may help explain
Now Outlook 2013 and Apps are used to working with Internal mail servers they can work and used to work with external but they pull mail from there so you had to store the mail on your PC
Now some Pop3 accounts the ISP may be able to change the settings of your mail box and you have to Log in to empty, but this can cause issues
Internal mail cliants have settings that Outlook and 365 can change, but theses will mean nothing to your ISP or control the isp
The issues sound like a program even tho you told it not to is emptying the pop3 mail box

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/members/northerndj.275164/

That might well be the way your mailbox works, but I am using Yahoo email and I access it from many different PCs, email apps off of my cellphone, and I use independent Windows apps like Mozilla Thunderbird.

All of those apps will read the entire inbox contents, and none of them remove the contents of the inbox UNLESS the Delete Key is activated. Even that does not DESTROY the message, it only moves it over to the TRASH FOLDER where I can again read it, mark it as Unread, and Move it to any folder that I wish, including the original INBOX.

I do this on a daily basis because my fingers run faster than my brain way too many times, and I have to recover something that just got "deleted". And, I can do that from Blue Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, or via the Web from a PC.

Maybe I have special permissions, dunno, but it is a Paid Account with Non-Expiring folder contents. I have emails that are over 10 years old relating to a Lawsuit that I had running against a large truck firm. Darn good thing too, because my lawyer lost some of his emails and I had to find them, and send them back to him.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones