New to Android and have a few questions.

Last Updated:

1. sandman512

sandman512 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a HTC Diamond and was wondering how I can get all my contact info. over to an Epic? Also, where is the best place to get apps? THANKS!

Advertisement
  2. Iczer

Iczer Well-Known Member

You'll probably have to manually input all of your contacts over, or bring your phone into sprint when you buy it. Sprint can migrate the contacts over. After that initial process is done, your contacts will be saved to your gmail account and will go with you with every android phone you use. When I got my Epic, I had my contacts on my phone within a minute of turning the power on and setting up my gmail account.

Also, there's really only one place to get apps and that is the market.

sandman512 likes this.
  3. MILcityBOI

MILcityBOI Well-Known Member

Best place for apps? The Market icon on your screen will take care of all your app needs and contact info would be best ported over by going to the Sprint store considering there is no way that I know of to swap contacts over from a Windows phone to a Google phone.

sandman512 likes this.
  4. sandman512

I do not have a GMAIL account, yahoo only if that matters?

5. MILcityBOI

MILcityBOI Well-Known Member

You will have to have a Gmail account to use the phone....you cannot use an android device without a Gmail account....You can create one right on the phone but without it you cannot do much but make calls or use stock apps.

6. Iczer

Iczer Well-Known Member

Exactly, you need a gmail account. You don't necessarily have to use it, but they're great to have. You can modify your contacts through your email and they'll reflect it on your phone.

7. beldorian

beldorian Active Member

The best place that I have found to search on apps and keep them sync'd with your phone is AppBrain - you can install it from the Market, but you can also manage the apps from your desktop, easily search set up the ones that you like for install and then perform the install from there.

Good luck! :)

8. sandman512

Thanks all! I actually do have a GMAIL(I forgot about it) account. Now, if I could only somehow get my contacts from WinMo to this phone when I get it.

9. CzechPleez

CzechPleez Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm a Sprint employee and Epic owner. Your previous phone was WinMo. Did you sync with a Windows laptop or PC? Outlook or some other email program? That's the easiest way to manage contacts with WinMo. If so, I recommend you sync one last time from WinMo phone to computer based PIM (personal information manager; i.e. email/contacts client like Outlook or Thunderbird). Then export contacts out of the PIM program, either into a flat text file, CSV or XML format. Set up your Gmail account (you have to have one to use your Android phone) and use the contact import feature to import contacts from the file you created. Make whatever corrections necessary within Gmail. Then set up your new Epic and choose to sync Gmail contacts. They will populate directly from your Gmail acct! It's a couple of steps, but your best option with the least manual input.

Thanks for being a Sprint customer and Epic owner!

10. CzechPleez

CzechPleez Well-Known Member

Almost forgot... Android market is the easiest place to get apps, but not the only place. AppBrain, mentioned above, works through Android market and makes managing apps easy. You can get apps from myriad places. One of my faves is SlideME.org. They have an Android client and it works much like AppBrain.

11. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

You don't need gmail if your phone has bluetooth. That is how I got my info from my Instinct to the Epic. You turn bluetooth on on both devices. They will find each other. Then tell your old phone to send contacts over. I had never done anything like this before and I was able to do it very easily.

12. salpiche

salpiche Well-Known Member

google sync for WinMo by way of WiFi. Download the google sync on to your diamond the sync your contacts with your gmail account when you log in to your gmail from your Epic they will transfer. Google Mobile that's how I originally moved my contacts from my mogul to my g1 haven't had to do it again.