• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to android and need help with calendar

deluther

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Hello all. I have been a Blackberry user for the last decade and recently switched over to Android. WHY didn't I do that sooner?!? I LOVE Android and this website has greatly helped with the learning curve.

The only problem (BIG PROBLEM) I am having is that I cannot figure out how to get the calendar to work like I want.

In the past, it worked like this. My wife would make an event in outlook on her work desktop. She then emailed it to my yahoo mail account with an attachment with .ics as the extension. I think you are supposed to accept the event, but mine always just placed anything she sent directly into my calendar. I think I told it at some point many years ago to accept all events sent from her.

I have been doing searches, downloading apps, and beating my head on my desk for a week trying to figure out how to get my calendar to work. I can't even get it to work manually, much less automatically.

I want her to be able to send an event email to either yahoo or gmail and it automatically show up in my calendar or at least show up where I can hit accept.

As advanced as these devices are over my Blackberry, I can't imagine that this isn't possible.

A million thanks to anyone that can help me. I do not have/use outlook and do not want to. I also don't want to have to go to a desktop and accept appointments and sync them to my phone. That defeats the purpose of being MOBILE.

I mainly need this to work with my Motorola Milestone X2, but I would also like it to sync with my ASUS TF-201.

Thank you

Firstly, welcome to the Android world. I, also, came from the Blackberry side :)
Providing that your wife has an Android phone or an iPhone, this might be a solution for you. In a nutshell: Try Cozi Family Calendar & Lists. It is a standalone calendar, shopping lists, to do lists and family journal app. Install the app and create a free Cozi account (I use a "family" email for both of us by creating a gmail account for that purpose). Every entry (calendar, shopping lists, to do lists and family journal) that you put in, she'll see in seconds, and conversely ~ simultaneously. Give it a try and you might like it as much as I do...

Upvote 0
Never used a Blackberry, but I can think of a couple of methods that don't involve emails, attachments, more apps, etc.

If your wife has a Google account, have her put events in her calendar there. Then add her calendar to your calendars (you can have multiple calendars) and everything will auto-sync across all your devices. That's how my wife and I do it. Very simple and handy. Or...

Once she enters an event in her Google calendar she can forward it to you in several ways. Or...

If she does not use Google, you can give her access to your account so she can add events there herself. Or...

Google calendar has an 'invites' function but I've never used it so can't really help. Check the instructions. Google 'Google calendar invites' for details.

The Google calendar really works well and is simple once you get the hang of it.

Upvote 0
Never used a Blackberry, but I can think of a couple of methods that don't involve emails, attachments, more apps, etc.

If your wife has a Google account, have her put events in her calendar there. Then add her calendar to your calendars (you can have multiple calendars) and everything will auto-sync across all your devices. That's how my wife and I do it. Very simple and handy. Or...

If she does not use Google, you can give her access to your account so she can add events there herself.

That is definitely the quickest way. Problem is, my spouse's calendar is loaded with work-related events, and so is mine. If we do this, we will clutter our calendar with events that 50% aren't necessary for our own needs. The "Cozy Cal" I mentioned, will only sync events/Etc. that are important to both of you.

Upvote 0
Just takes a couple of taps to change what calendars are displayed.

Yes. But, when I'm looking at my spouse's cal (entries), I see *all* of his entries, no? How'd I use his cal in such a way that only entries concerning the two of show? And vise versa. The reason I brought up Cozy Cal is because of its ability to sync our phones simultaneously with only entries concerning us and thus avoiding cluttering our calendars with tons of unnecessary entries belonging to the other person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones