• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to Android, and obviously Atrix ....

What is the best way to optimize this phone, and its battery? I looked at the task manager but I had reservations about turning things off I didn't know about. Don't want to break it on the first day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Power cycle the phone. Let it die completely before charging it again. Like most phones, it's just a normal procedure to break in/calibrate the battery.

Turn WiFi off when you're not using it (and GPS).

Don't use a task killer, let Android take care of the memory and all by itself.

Some people have had success with the battery by hard resetting the phone, and some by charging it while it's actually shut off.

Oh, and can you acquire more widgets? Im really clueless about this phone right now. LOL

Yup, right on the android market. There's a "widgets" category on the apps list down at the bottom. To install them, just hold down your finger on an empty spot on the homescreen until the widget box pops up, then choose "Android Widgets".

Upvote 0
Fiddle though the settings. Press the options button (hard button on bottom left, looks like 4 squares) in most menus will bring up the settings page, as well as holding down on an item on screen.

Set most things to not auto update in the background will save battery. You can set up security stuff like passwords, or your fingerprint to lock/unlock.

In terms of customization, there are a lot. Get a launcher like launcher pro or ADW and ditch the stock motoblur. User apps like Gmail, Facebook instead of moto's included stock apps.

Later on you can mess w/ Tasker to set up automatic actions to make the phone do whatever you want :D

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Took me a minute to get used to the options button in the bottom left corner. I couldn't figure out how to get directions on maps for a minute. That's when I realized that button works different on every screen. The others at the bottom do the same thing no matter where you are. So I just didn't think about it.

I've read people saying Advance Task Killer is highly unnecessary. Is that the samething as Launcher Pro?

Im still trying to sort out the settings things, in paticular task manager. But I really like the phone. Im enjoying my live wallpaper with the scrolling Matrix code, and customizing my pages. Eat that stupid iphone bacground that never does anything. lol

Upvote 0
Launcher pro is much different. It gives the phone UI a totally different look and feel. Search for some screen shots or even in the app store listing there should be pictures.

If you do install a new home screen launcher, don't forget to remove all the widgets from the stock launcher before making the new one the default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones