• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android and Smartphones...

mgoblue

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
Guys,

I have a couple of questions with all this new tech stuff...

One, how safe are these apps, i know dl at own risk and if some seem fishy and want access to weird things probably shouldnt do so.

Two, how do i make sure my SF is running at its best potential, what things should be on and off...so on.

Three, Regarding ATK...is it really necessary? Why does my task manager list different apps running or whatever than the ATK?

Thanks a bunch and probably will have more questions later. Other than that i love this phone!!! (Though i did take it back after three days cause i was one that ad terrible call clarity on the other persons end...this one see,s much clearer though!!)

1] Yeah fair question; overall and in general apps are safe; I've yet to find a malicious virus or anything like that in one
2] Thats really a personal choice. I keep everything off unless I need it so GPS and WiFi are usually off for me. BT I tend to have on just because I make and receive most calls thru my earpiece. Live wallpapers are a big battery drain too but if you like it you like it. Screen brightness is another one. Most use "auto", I usually turn it down all the way
3] ATK is not necessary like everyone else I had it and have since uninstalled it. The main difference between what Task Manager displays and ATK is Task Manager tells you what is active in whereas ATK will display anything even cached and thus indirectly using memory/ system resources. But given the way Android manages memory it is desirable to have things cached and ready to go if called upon

Upvote 0
Thanks Saps,

Is there anything else i should know about for running a fast phone? and what are the positives for rooting ones phone?

Thanks again.
Rooting basically unlocks the phone. It enables you to have access to previously clocked and closed sections of the phone. There are some pretty handy-nifty apps which only work with a rooted phone. Bottom Line it gives you even more control and customization over your phone

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums! And congrats on getting an awesome phone - I love it.

To add to the first question/answer, the best thing you can do is a) use common sense and b) look at the app's permissions. There's a nice article about app permissions [here], ordered by the most important things to look for to the least, and gives examples of what kind of apps might use a specific permission.

Edit: 128 posts, woo.

Upvote 0
would i be crazy if i paid full retail price for the fascinate? my contract is not up until 2012 and i absolutely hate the phone that i have now. i have been to verizon twice to play around with the fascinate and it has me drooling over it every time. my dad said he would go half with me so i would only be paying around 300, plus a case / screen protector. for all of its functions and since i will have it until 2012, it does not seem so crazy for me to pay full retail price for it.

what do you guys think? would you go with it?

Upvote 0
would i be crazy if i paid full retail price for the fascinate? my contract is not up until 2012 and i absolutely hate the phone that i have now. i have been to verizon twice to play around with the fascinate and it has me drooling over it every time. my dad said he would go half with me so i would only be paying around 300, plus a case / screen protector. for all of its functions and since i will have it until 2012, it does not seem so crazy for me to pay full retail price for it.

what do you guys think? would you go with it?

I would probably purchase one off the trade threads. You can get one for as little as 300.00 if you watch and maybe cheaper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones