New to Android and Sprint!

Last Updated:

1. Rambler358

Rambler358 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 26, 2010
    As a long time AT&T user, I made the change to Android and Sprint this past weekend. But first I have to say Sprint has made some serious inroads in coverage since a few years ago!

So here's my story. My long time HTC Advantage (Windows Mobile) bit the dust after a nasty fall, and I decided I wanted to go Android. But I wanted a fairly large screen to keep using my phone/PDA as my car and motorcycle GPS device. I was looking at the Samsung Captivate on AT&T and went to the store with my wife while she picked up a new Blackberry Torch - we're on a family plan, though my contract with AT&T has ended. The Captivate looked really nice, but then I found my previous unlimited data plan couldn't be transferred over to the new smartphone - this could only be done if coming from an iPhone according to a few AT&T reps. And I knew the highest 2GB plan wouldn't be enough for me.

So I started doing some research on other carriers and Android devices. Sprint and the HTC EVO 4G looked like what I wanted. A couple people I know are on Sprint, and one even had the EVO 4G. According to Sprint, 4G coverage isn't yet available in my area of southern California, but my friend's EVO was getting 4G connectivity! He says 4G is supposed to be official next month.

Needless to say, I ended up signing on to Sprint and picked up the EVO. It already had the Froyo 2.2 update, and then another OTA update was available which I installed. I hear that was for a FPS cap fix. Anyway, this phone is schweeet! :D I thought I'd miss Windows Mobile, but not anymore. And Sprint's coverage in my area is better than AT&T now.

So I'm learning a lot about my new Android, but I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for the experts here as I start working my way around it. Thanks for reading. :cool:

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Jul 9, 2010
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! Feel free to join the conversations! :D
  4. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi & Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers....;)