New to Android AppsSupport

Last Updated:

1. daviddcmd

daviddcmd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 3, 2010
    I too came over from Apple so this Android stuff is both exciting and confusing.

Not to add to the endless debate but for me a task killer seems to work best. My question however is this, I will kill some tasks, get down to zero running, do nothing with the phone and the next time I kill tasks like 14 are killed.
    Is there a method/way to get some of this stuff to not start in the first place?

2. Billswood

Billswood Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Is there a way to turn all notifications to vibrate easily? If I just use the rocker, it only turns the RINGER to vibe, and not notifications. I can go into sounds, but it still only does the ringer. In message settings and email settings i can change them, but i want a one click option. Is there an app or widget, or maybe even just something i am missing?
  3. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    No not unless you root your device but remember these android devices can handle multiple apps running in the background without any effect on them. I set my killer to auto kill when the phone is asleep and that works great for me.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Mar 5, 2010
    When I first got my Eris back in November 2009, I installed and used a couple of task killers. Then, I read through many (many!) threads and posts about whether or not task killers are needed. I decided back in March to remove the task killers I had. I have not needed or used one or installed one since (including my new X).

Android itself has a task management / termination strategy built-in, so, for the most part, a task killer is not usually needed. I will point-out that I have also tried to be smarter about how I leave an application. If there is an "exit" menu option for the application that I launched, I always try to use that (or if I forget, I got back and explicitly exit out).

I'm sure that there are some applications that are not well-written or don't play nice and therefore do not terminate correctly. But these apps don't stay on my phone very long. :D

I would suggest running with one for a while and then run without one for a while and you can decide for yourself if you really need one.