New to Android AppsSupport

Last Updated:

1. daviddcmd

daviddcmd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I too came over from Apple so this Android stuff is both exciting and confusing.

Not to add to the endless debate but for me a task killer seems to work best. My question however is this, I will kill some tasks, get down to zero running, do nothing with the phone and the next time I kill tasks like 14 are killed.
    Is there a method/way to get some of this stuff to not start in the first place?

TIA

Advertisement
  2. Billswood

Billswood Well-Known Member

Is there a way to turn all notifications to vibrate easily? If I just use the rocker, it only turns the RINGER to vibe, and not notifications. I can go into sounds, but it still only does the ringer. In message settings and email settings i can change them, but i want a one click option. Is there an app or widget, or maybe even just something i am missing?

3. esn

esn Well-Known Member

No not unless you root your device but remember these android devices can handle multiple apps running in the background without any effect on them. I set my killer to auto kill when the phone is asleep and that works great for me.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

When I first got my Eris back in November 2009, I installed and used a couple of task killers. Then, I read through many (many!) threads and posts about whether or not task killers are needed. I decided back in March to remove the task killers I had. I have not needed or used one or installed one since (including my new X).

Android itself has a task management / termination strategy built-in, so, for the most part, a task killer is not usually needed. I will point-out that I have also tried to be smarter about how I leave an application. If there is an "exit" menu option for the application that I launched, I always try to use that (or if I forget, I got back and explicitly exit out).

I'm sure that there are some applications that are not well-written or don't play nice and therefore do not terminate correctly. But these apps don't stay on my phone very long. :D

I would suggest running with one for a while and then run without one for a while and you can decide for yourself if you really need one.