New to Android/ Captivate!Support

Last Updated:

1. tl91

tl91 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone,

I apologize for a long post, but I'm hoping some of the good people here can give me a hand. Samsung's tech support was pretty shitty so I'm turning here instead. I recently got a Samsung Captivate with Rogers and I've been having some trouble with my bluetooth. The phone is working fine with my bluetooth headset, but there are some problems when I try sending files from my computer to my phone. I can send files from my phone TO my computer, but whenever I try to send files FROM my computer, it pops up telling me "An invalid argument was supplied". Am I missing something simple here?

Next thing is with the battery life... I have two of them and one ran for 2 days after charging straight out of the box; no apps, email, etc set up. After I set everything up though, it seems to be doing no better than ~20 hours. The other phone has always been ~20 hours at best. I've read about putting my phone onto 2G or GSM only to conserve battery life - is this a legit method? I appear to be using EDGE when I enable GSM/HSPA auto select and UMTS when I restrict it to GSM only. I've also read about using all-black backgrounds because of the AMOLED. Any good suggestions on which app to get? As for the battery issue, how harmful is it for me to recharge my phone before it drains to 10%?

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
  2. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

The color of your background doesn't have anything to do with how long the light stays on for your display. I had Wifi on, Background Sync on and didn't use it much at all yesterday. After 13 hours or so I was only down 15% or less. The brightness of your display, how long it stays on and what you have enabled play a serious part in how long your battery lasts. Screen animations will also use battery power.

There are several threads in here that go over things you can do to increase battery power. I thought I had that problem too when I bought my phone but I was playing around with it all day too.

Use the search box up there ^^^ and you can find more info than what I am giving you.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Make sure you're using the latest Bluetooth software for your computer's BT device.

Also, try using the free app "Bluetooth File Transfer" on your Captivate. Click on "Remote files" first, then try sending the files from the PC.

See the Captivate FAQ:
    Battery - CapFAQ

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

You could save yourself a step by opening a Dropbox account. If you sign up using this link, you and I both get an extra 250mb for storage :)

Basically, you just install Dropbox on your computer and put into files the Dropbox folder that you want shared with your phone, for example, receipts, or photos.

Then make sure you install the Dropbox app from the Market so that you can just navigate to those shared files from your computer. Works the other way, too. Any file you put into your Dropbox app, you will see on your computer.

Watch the VIDEO/animation on the signup screen and that will be clearer than I.

I've found it a terrific way to share files between my phone and computer. It's very helpful for files that you want to update from both places, eg., vacation checklist (I created an excel file to do this). I keep it in the Dropbox on my computer, but I can update it from my Captivate, and the next time I open the file on the computer, it's been magically updated!

HTH