New to Android - Connecting phone via USB to car DeckSupport

Last Updated:

1. mightybaron

mightybaron Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone! I just pick up a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (I9000) and love the phone.

However, in my car I normally listen to all my music through a flash drive plugged into a usb port from my deck. So I figured that I could charge my phone through the USB(won't have to buy car charger then) and listen to the music right off of the phone at the same time....well my phone charges fine through it but I can not get my music to play??? I have never had a single problem with the flash drive and I've tried all the different ways to use the USB connection (mass storage/media etc). Do I need to move my files some where download an app or anything like that to get it to work?? Or is it even possible. I have also tried BT audio but I can't make it work either (i've had it work with the iphone before).

If anyone has any tips or ideas for the USB it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. snshami

snshami New Member

I am having exactly the same problem. I have tried connecting it every which way but the car does not recognise the phone. I can plug a normal USB memory stick in the USB jack of the car and it will play all the media on it but I cannot do the same with my phone. This is quite frustrating.

3. saj_2001ind

saj_2001ind Well-Known Member

you can try this, goto settings -> applications -> development -> check usb debugging

then connect the ohone to ur car music system, this way the car music system should recognise it as a usb drive (if all goes well with drivers and all) and you should see ur music there...

its not guranteed though bcoz it will depend on ur car music system also but can try once...

I use bluetooth to connect to my car and it works perfect also the AUX 3.5 mm jack connection also works fine

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

It's probably something to do with missing drivers. The galaxy S can't seem to function properly without the drivers from KIES.

5. mightybaron

Saj thanks for the info, I'm gonna go try that right now (fingers crossed!). I've tried to get the bluetooth to connect but it wont pick it up.... The deck is brand new and its frustrating to say the least.

Snapper - is there anywhere I can download the missing drivers??

6. mightybaron

Just tried the debugging and got the same result, says error with USB device on the car screen...

7. snshami

snshami New Member

I have tried the debugging mode as well. I spoke with someone who designs car audio for a living and he told me that most car audio devices require the usb device to have generic drivers. Given that Samsung Galaxy S appears to have unique USB drivers it would make sense that it does not easily connect to a car audio. BTW, a colleagues HTC Desire has no problem connecting to the same car audio systems that my Galaxy cannot talk to. Is there any way of adding drivers to the Samsung Galaxy S or is there any hack for it.

On bluetooth it appears I need to get the media player on the phone to start before it plays on the car.

8. saj_2001ind

saj_2001ind Well-Known Member

for connecting with bluetooth I don't need to get media player on phone to start before....I can even receive calls on bluetooth and music works fine

9. Metusion

Metusion Active Member

seriously this phone has the crappiest usb support ever.. most of the time not recognized and a hassle to use

10. koolduud

koolduud Member

Don't be so quick to blame the phone. It could as well be a crappy car audio head unit. My JVC HU works like a charm with the Galaxy S. I can connect it to the HU through the USB port
    1. My songs are in the external SD card. I saw that the external card is mounted before the internal SD card in windows. So this might make a difference if you have an ext SD card and your songs are in the internal card. The second drive (internal SD) may not be visible.
    2. Use mass storage connection mode
    3. Have to mount the device explicitly on the notification bar of the phone.

I do not use this cumbersome connection, I use Bluetooth A2DP. The USB saves me a car phone charger though.

11. MadHater81

MadHater81 New Member

Deleted.