• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android Email

I am using the email that came with my Samsung Captivate. I am not super happy with it. It seems that I only can get emails when the phone is awake. Is that correct? On another note, I tried to download K9 from the Android MArket, but am I supposed to "delete" the other email program first? It says I downloaded K9 but the other one is still in charge.

You have to set K-9 as the default app for actions that link to the email app.

Normally it should detect that you have two now and start giving you the option to choose when you do an action (like clicking an email address on a web page) and a checkbox to set the default, but if the stock email app is stuck as the default you can clear that with Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Email [Clear Defaults]

You can replace the dock email app with K-9 or anything else. You can then remove the stock Email app icon from your homescreen. Launcher Pro can even give you a pretty icon for the dock and the ability to hide it from the master apps list.

As far as only getting emails when the phone is "awake"... not sure what you mean. Awake as in "on"? Obviously yes. But if your email isn't syncing all the time while the phone is on, check your settings under "Accounts and sync"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones