• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android, ex-iPhone user needs help.

Hello, Droiders, I have a question. lol How can I send a audio clip via sms? I tried and it doesn't work. I got the chompsms app and it still doesn't go through. I'm a Android newb and I need help. :(

Lets say I want to send a ringtone, I know I can do it through e-mail but the person that I want to send it to does not have one. How can I send it through sms? :thinking:

As long as the audio clip is small enough, you can send it through the standard Messaging app. Select a person to text, then press the option key (The key on the far left), and choose attach, then select "audio" and navigate to the audio file you wish to send on your internal memory or SD card. You can also send pictures, video, contacts, recorded audio, etc through this as well.

If it says you reached the size limit then it's too big, there's no getting around it! You can shorten the length of the audio file using a ringtone creator either on the phone or on a computer and then try sending the altered file. I believe the max filesize is 600kb for sms.

I was able to use an app called "Ringtone Maker" to make a ringtone sized clip from a full mp3 song. This allows you to choose the start point and the ringtone length. Then, when you look for the file in the messaging application, it should be in the "ringtones" folder at the root of the internal SD card.

Reactions: la mechita
Upvote 0
Hello, Droiders, I have a question. lol How can I send a audio clip via sms? I tried and it doesn't work.

Welcome to the forum! :) Remember though that the "Droid" is a specific set of phones (which run Android), made by Motorola and HTC, for use on the Verizon network. This board is about the Captivate, which is another Android phone, but is not a "Droid". ;) Toss those extra 2 letters on and avoid confusion.

Anyhow, SMS is really ill-suited for the exchange of files and you're going to have all sorts of problems. Remember that it stands for "Short Message Service". Once you start trying to use it for file transfers, it's not "short" anymore and the methods glued onto the technology with bubble gum and duct tape to try and get SMS to send files are very finicky. You'll have much better results using email to share files, as these are smartphones so they support it ;) and file attachments on emails are far more-reliable.

Reactions: la mechita
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones