New to android, few questions :)

Last Updated:

1. Lawz

Lawz Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone! picked up a HTC desire today and liking it so far, but few a niggles are getting to me, hoping someone can help :)

First of all, the battery. Had a look through the quick start guide but didnt mention an initial charge time, so I charged it for 11 hours before turning it on. Started playing around at 6 p.m and it had 14% left at 11 p.m?! battery use showed the OS using 53% of it, got advanced app killer so ill try and keep on top of it, just wondering if this is normal.

Contacts, my contacts from my sim have got the name, then /1 or /2 or /3 after it and I dont understand why? Can I also stop it doing surname, or what it thinks is surname first? Also is there a way to add a facebook picture to the contacts from my sim? Want to sort out these before I sort out facebook contacts.

Weather. Done a lot of searching but nothing definate. problems I have A) im in newcastle upon tyne, but auto location lists me as newburn but no weather info, but manually searching for newcastle shows it has weather info. Double checked all settings and no idea why its not showing me as newcastle. People mention deleting the locations the phone comes with but no idea how to do this. B) Creating a standalone HTC weather widget, it doesnt show anything and tapping it crashes HTC sense ui which has to be force stopped and im put back on the homepage. Any ideas?

If anyone could help i'll owe you a pint or two if you want to come 00p north :)

Lawz

Advertisement
  2. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

When I got my Desire, I just plugged it in, charged it fully, then unplugged it and used it for nine hours straight. Now that I pretty much have the setup I want, it lasts me two days. So I think there's no need to panic, just make sure not to do anything wasetful, like run a live wallpaper, which drains battery quickly :)

You can click in your SIM contact and then click link in top right corner and link it to contact's facebook account. As a matter of fact, you can link SIM/Gmail/Facebook, etc into one for every contact. Some of it is done automatically.

Do you have your GPS on? If yes, then it's odd that it would list you not where you are. Anyway, to get rid of the cities you don't want, just click on the weather app in the app drawer, then press MENU and select DELETE.

I know that this doesn't answer all of your questions, so I expect my half a pint tomorrow. Will come from Carlisle around noon. OK? :)

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I think the manual says 3 hours first charge, its in their somewhere :p The first few battery cycles are bad yes, but after that it will get better, that together with playing with it constantly really wears it down!

You must have come from a different phone, maybe a sony ericsson? The /1 /2 is something to do with the format your old phone/sim stored the contacts. Best advice is to sync your contacts to google, then edit them in your pc browser via gmail contacts list. Its a lot quicker this way.

Once you have set up your contcts names correctly and you are signed into facebook on the phone, it should automatically match up your facebook mates to your phone contacts.

Try going to the app menu (bottom left button on main screen) and selecting the weather app, i think you can find the stored default locations here. Delete them, add your own.

4. Jamdrew

Jamdrew Member

Hi,

I'm new to Android, too, and regarding the weather, I had difficulty getting it to show for my current location as well. I fixed it by manually setting my location to Edinburgh, rather than just using the 'My Location' option. I don't remember how I managed to make this change though - perhaps someone else can say?

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Weather App > menu > delete
    Weather App > menu > add

:p

6. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Its gotta go through s few cycles before it works properly.

I know its a pain but it needs that first full charge.