• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to android, have a couple of quick ROM related questions.

xecure

Lurker
Mar 16, 2011
I'm new to the Android experience and I'm loving it so far. But I wanted to ask about ROM's. I understand they're a modified version of the android OS (no?). What I wanted to is that if you needed an external storage to install a ROM on your phone. If so whats the minimum size? Also does adeo work with 4.1.57? or are we still waiting for a developer to release an update?

Thanks for any sort of help you can can give me =)

Ok to start off myself, I am new to android also only got my Atrix back in march went from an ancient LG CU(something) flip phone, so basically if i state anything wrong or incorrect PLEASE feel free anyone to correct me. I know I am "noob" but i also know everyone starts out that way. So honestly this is my first "smart phone". Anyways to the point i saw your question and thought I would try to help you out as i just recently rooted my phone and installed Gingerblur just the other day.

1st. As far as the ROM's I really dont know that much about them but basically yes seem to be a modified OS. I know with Gingerblur it takes the phone to a more stock android OS feel which I like in some area's. Basically as I understand it now with the Atrix having a locked bootloader, the ROM's you see basically change the aesthetics of the OS without changing the OS version. So if i understand this right you cant flash say actual Gingerbread OS on your phone to replace Froyo can only change Froyo's look.

2nd. Alot of things I have read they suggest you have an microSD card but honestly it doesnt have to be that big, I did mine a simple 2gig microSD since I didnt want to back up or wipe out my 4gig microSD card as they say you should have an external SD card in and that flashing the rom wipes it clean.

3rd. I have no clue to be honest I looked into it but never did it. I ended up going with Gingerblur since the programmer is doing alot of updates to it and would work with 4.1.83 update.

All in all i have to asy being new to android and taking my enthusiasm from messing with computers to learning about android and how it works, that you should if you have not already look at the XDA forums you should as they are a WEALTH of knowledge. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Reactions: xecure
Upvote 0
Ok to start off myself, I am new to android also only got my Atrix back in march went from an ancient LG CU(something) flip phone, so basically if i state anything wrong or incorrect PLEASE feel free anyone to correct me. I know I am "noob" but i also know everyone starts out that way. So honestly this is my first "smart phone". Anyways to the point i saw your question and thought I would try to help you out as i just recently rooted my phone and installed Gingerblur just the other day.

1st. As far as the ROM's I really dont know that much about them but basically yes seem to be a modified OS. I know with Gingerblur it takes the phone to a more stock android OS feel which I like in some area's. Basically as I understand it now with the Atrix having a locked bootloader, the ROM's you see basically change the aesthetics of the OS without changing the OS version. So if i understand this right you cant flash say actual Gingerbread OS on your phone to replace Froyo can only change Froyo's look.

2nd. Alot of things I have read they suggest you have an microSD card but honestly it doesnt have to be that big, I did mine a simple 2gig microSD since I didnt want to back up or wipe out my 4gig microSD card as they say you should have an external SD card in and that flashing the rom wipes it clean.

3rd. I have no clue to be honest I looked into it but never did it. I ended up going with Gingerblur since the programmer is doing alot of updates to it and would work with 4.1.83 update.

All in all i have to asy being new to android and taking my enthusiasm from messing with computers to learning about android and how it works, that you should if you have not already look at the XDA forums you should as they are a WEALTH of knowledge. I hope this helps you a little bit.
First of all thank you for your response,

Second, After doing research the past few weeks everything you said seems correct.

Third, I did a ginger blur installon my phone using a 256mb micro SD I found in my dads blackberry. So if anyone doesn't have a huge microSD laying around, you can do an install using something as small as 256mb (128 might even work too, but 64 would be too small)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones