New to Android - Looking to Root

Last Updated:

1. Tennis

Tennis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First off, I know there are a ton of threads already made on this subject, but I need some personalized help. I basically need some step by step instructions.

I know I'm going to use z4root - Android app on AppBrain (Z4Root) but what do I do after that? Install the Clockwork thing?

Basically could you guys let me know exactly what I need to do to have a successful root.

Then, after I finish that I have two issues:

- "Wifi Tethering" does this mean that my Captivate will be a Wifi hotspot? And I can use Wifi even when there's no other signals?
    - Froyo, will I even need this after I root my phone? And if yes, will I be able to update it?

I'm choosing to use Z4Root because it seems like it'd be easy to unroot my phone if I need to utilize the warrenty. And just so you know, I'm pretty inexperienced with commands and really techy stuff, but I learn quick.

Thanks a lot for your time.

(WOW that hurt, I have two deep gashes on the tips of my fingers)

Advertisement
  2. Tennis

Oh and lastly, what are the main apps and other things that I should use once I am rooted?

And are there any other benefits besides less lag, more customization, wifi tethering (please explain), and no bloatware?

3. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Root - CapFAQ
    Tethering - CapFAQ

Rooting / Froyo unrelated. Rooting grants privileges, Froyo is an unreleased operating system.

>>> ...will I be able to update [to] it?

It is unknown what environment Froyo will expect to find prior to successfully updating the phones.

4. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

5. Tennis

Ok... thank you.

6. Tennis

Still need more specific help though.

7. Tennis

Seems like people don't want to help me out. I guess I won't do it for now.

8. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

you can use "oclf" to root your phone if you want, very easy and has an unroot option. i havent used the method you named

i dont know how the tethering works as i havent used it, i know cognition comes with it though but thats all. i know usb tethering is the most common one though and with that you would have to have your computer, or whatever, connected to your phone via usb.

9. projectpaki

projectpaki Active Member

tethering works for my on the cognition rom

i have a question tho, i read that cognition comes with voodoo lagfix, but i dl'd oclf but the option to run or disable lagfix is unavailable, why is that?

10. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Your first post was at 6:16 PM, at 6:43 I gave you some guidance, and at 10:48 you're complaining that nobody wants to help? That's an ideal way NOT to get help. Members don't spend their entire days online, and to believe that you're being ignored is a bit off-base and reeks of unrealistic expectations.

Based on the content of your initial posts, the best advice I can provide is to stay away from everything you're attempting to accomplish until you first immerse yourself in the basics. Unless you do, trouble is lurking just around the corner.

FAQ - CapFAQ

11. Tennis

Oh yeah, update.

I rooted the next day, flashed Cog and I love it. Going to keep it this way for awhile.