New to Android - need helpSupport

Last Updated:

1. Saturngoddess

Saturngoddess New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 25, 2010
    Awesome phone but a couple of things I am starting to wonder about:

When I make a call, it seems like the screen goes blank. I need to keep refreshing it to be sure that I hit the speaker so I can hear.

Also - when I first got the phone last Saturday, the city was set to where I am (Seal Beach). Then it went to Long Beach, Los Alamitos, and Downey, yet here I am, still in Seal Beach. This thing only does is larger cities (for example - Chicago when I need Great Lakes, IL), or smaller cities. It doesn't recognize them (whereas my former IPhone did). So what do I need to do to the phone to get smaller cities and my city to recognize for the weather? (IE - Seal Beach is showing Now - but I still can't find smaller cities on the weather part of the phone to add).

Otherwise, absolutely love it :). Not too happy with the battery life, but pretty much disabled everything on it (GPS, 4G, BT, WIFI) and cut the screen time down to 1 minute (15 seconds was driving me up the wall).

Thanks for helping me :)

2. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I also wonder about the screen going black during a call. Mine doesn't stay black, it just seems to turn on and off every few seconds which I assume is to save battery.

For weather, I downloaded the Weather Bug app, which seems to have lots of information, if not too much. So I would try that because the native app may only do bigger cities.
  3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Are you talking about the screen going black during a normal call or when you're using speaker phone? If you're talking about a normal call, it's supposed to do that. There is a sensor there that will turn off the screen when you put the phone up to your head. It does that to a) save battery and b) keep you from accidentally pressing anything with your ear. It will turn on and off if you move the phone around a lot, especially away from your ear.
  4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    yes, one of two things are happening...there is a sensor that knows you have moved the phone to your ear...and it turns off the screen...OR your default screen timeout is being met and turning off the screen.

for on the sense weather display on your with the settings within there... and decide if you want gps on or off. gps will pull info for where it thinks you are... so if you are in a small area with outlying large areas it may think you are in those areas and pull info from there. there is no real fix for it...but turning off gps helps some