New to Android- Need helpGeneral

Last Updated:

1. stew1411

stew1411 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I have switched over from WinMo to Android and I LOVE it. I have a T-Mobile G1 which is unlocked and I am using on AT&T. I have it set up, am able to call, text, and web. I can even recieve MMS pictures but cannot send them myself. Everytime I try to send a MMS it fails. Why is this? Also, I am quite aware that I cannot get 3G with AT&T. Is 2G the same as EDGE? I am constantly on the EDGE network, but sometimes at my girlfriends or at school the E will change to G. What is the difference? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. liveify

liveify New Member

EDGE is considered 2.5g by most, its slightly faster than 2g. As for the MMS question, I can't answer.

3. stew1411

stew1411 Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm. Well its constantly on E, but every now and then it will switch to G. It seems like G is faster. Not sure tho. But why doesn't it stay on G. With my old ATT phone, anywhere I went had 3G, so in the same places where 3G is available I would think I should be able to get G, not just E. But oh well. Can anyone send MMS with ATT on their G1?

4. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

Edge is actually faster. It's about double the speed. It switches to G when there's no E coverage or the signal is low. Sometimes areas are covered by 3G but not Edge, although very rare.

5. gregstereo

gregstereo Member

I have a similar configuration to the OP (ADP1, basically an unlocked G1) with an AT&T SIM card. And I am having a similar problem with MMS. I can send and receive them via Google Voice, and I can receive them using the native MMS functionality, but I cannot send them via the native app. Any ideas?