New to Android, need some help :)

Last Updated:

1. abcdtrish

abcdtrish New Member This Topic's Starter

Help me!
    I just bought a Samsung Captivate this morning, and I don't know anything about using an Android phone. I've been using Blackberry phones for as long as I can remember. I've done some research on how to conserve battery life, cool apps to download and some tips. I do have a few more questions that I haven't been able to fully understand. So if anyone can explain this in the simplest form, please do.

First off, I'm usually in areas that provide WiFi and don't want to leave the 3G network on since I don't want to have to be paying for that. Is there a way I can turn off the 3G even when I'm not in an area that provides WiFi?

Second, I don't fully understand the difference between Widgets and Shortcuts. They seem to be the same to me. But maybe not?

Lastly, if anybody have anymore helpful battery life saving tips, other than the norm (black wallpaper, screen brightness, etc) please let me know. As well as other tips I should know so I can put this gorgeous phone to some good use!

Thanks
    :)

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If you got to settings>Wireless & networks you can turn off 3G data so it will only use data when connected to WiFi.

A widget is pretty much an app that runs on the home screen. It's dynamic and provides you with current information. A shortcut is just that ... a link to an app that remains static until you activate it.

As far as battery life, there are literally hundreds of threads about improving it, so a little search should get you all the information you need. Just one thing ... DO NOT use a task killer, the only thing it will kill is your battery.

3. abcdtrish

abcdtrish New Member This Topic's Starter

I've had smart bar for a few days, and your right, it kills the battery life and I hate it! Is there something you could recommend?