• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android OS - getting a Thrive later this week -advice?

rbenotti

Lurker
Mar 5, 2012
Hello.

I am new to the Android OS word, but not to technology (support Windows, Blackberrys, iPhones, etc - just not Android stuff).

I'll be getting the Thrive in a few days and am wondering what I should do to it out of the box. I think it will be coming with Android 3.1, so I assume it should update it to the newer 3.2. I don't plan to root the tablet unless someone can tell me why I should.

Basic uses are going to be - web, picture slide show viewer, e-mail device, Facebook, mp3 player, portable movie player for the kids, a few games, eReader, device for recipes, Skype and I'm sure others.

Any basic advise (apps, tweaks, otherwise) is greatly appreciated.

I will be getting a leather case and screen protector shortly.

I look forward to the Android world!!

Thanks!!!

well first off, welcome to the world of Android! We're glad to have you here. Many of the things you stated that you would be using the thrive for come with the tablet preloaded(email[there are still apps out there like Yahoo! Mail if you prefer to use the actual email app from them], gallery[for pics and videos taken from your camera], Music player, Movie Player and I think there's a preloaded eReader).
From your list, you would need to download:
•Games you'd like
•Other apps that you'd like

The android market is very easy to use, simply tap the icon labeled "Market" and it will bring you to the landing page. From there you can browse the apps, or search for a specific app.

I have had mine for over a month now, and have not rooted it. I had a POS phone that I rooted, and it was way bettetr, but I see no need to root this device so far. I would recommend updating to 3.2(although I did this just the other day), as well as the 3.2 bug fix released on 2/28/12. When you get it out of the box, it will most likely be completely dead(mine was), so of course plug it in.

You said you're getting a leather case and screen protector soon. Good. I dont' have a case for mine and have dropped it twice(no problems, thank God!)... so a case would be nice to have. As for the screen protector, thry're a bit challenging to do. I'd recommend that you start with the side that has a camera, and work your way tot he other end of the tablet.

I also purchased a back cover for mine(I don't mind the black cover that comes with it, it's just that I wanted to customize mine, so i got the silver case(which reminds me that I still have yet to post pics....).

If you're going to be doing ANY word processing/Excell editing, I would STRONGLY recommend that you get an app called "Office Suite Pro." I'm currently using the trial, but I have used the app to make 2 spreadsheets from my tablet for my work(I work in a performing arts theatre). It was a speadsheet that told which actors took a mic, who they traded it with, when they traded it, and when they put it away. The second sheet was pure info labeling who got what type of microphone, what scenes the actors were in, etc(if I can find a screenshot app, I can take a picture of it for you).

it took me 2.5 hours total to do both sheets, so that's not bad, seeing how it would take me about 1.5-2 hours on a laptop.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and i hope that this post was helpful!

Upvote 0
well first off, welcome to the world of Android! We're glad to have you here. Many of the things you stated that you would be using the thrive for come with the tablet preloaded(email[there are still apps out there like Yahoo! Mail if you prefer to use the actual email app from them], gallery[for pics and videos taken from your camera], Music player, Movie Player and I think there's a preloaded eReader).
From your list, you would need to download:

Upvote 0
Additionally, I recommend Amazon app store app. They do a free app a day. I got a few full office programs free this way and lost of games. Plus the included media apps are ok but things from the market like "zimly" are better. Also the ebook reader included has a limited book selection, Amazon Kindle app is what I use because of amazon whispernet (ebooks bookmarks synced between my android phone, tablet, and pc desktop app). Additionally Amazon has the Amazon mp3 app for downloading music if you don't like the market music downloads...

Just noticed Amazon seems to be in full support of android...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones