New to android...questions i haveSupport

Last Updated:

1. rfranken

rfranken Member This Topic's Starter

Not sure if these are android questions or Droid X questions....here goes.

1. When I use google navigator the phone will randomly go black. I then need to push power...unlocked....go back to navigator and resume/restart my navigation. (by randomly i mean anywhere from 20 seconds to 10 minutes...and this is with or without touching the screen)

2. so many apps start on there own (either at random times or when i boot the phone up)....how do i stop them from starting in the background all the time?

3. how do you properly close apps? some apps have an exit or close but most don't. backing out doesn't work....home button doesn't work. I always have to use a task killer manager to end them.

4. sometimes 3G goes away....the only way i seem to be able to bring it back is to power cycle the phone.

5. GPS works...I traveled this weekend and it worked great. but back at home now it doesn't work at all. (current location is temporarily unavailable) full 3G strength and it can't find my location. (once or twice it said it did but it was 30 miles off)

6. It seem if you swear in a text message using the microphone option it #### out the swear word. How do i change this? I added the swear word in question to the dictionary thing and still #### when i text using the microphone.

Advertisement
  2. rfranken

Anyone?
    Throw me a bone or point in in the right direction.

3. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

I'm new as well and trying to get the hang of things. I will give you what I know about the system but I'm learning as well so feel free to correct me.

1. The first time I used it. It worked great. The second time same issue the screen goes down randomly. It didn't matter if it was plugged in or not.

2. Its the way Android is designed to operate. You can try a task killer from the market. Do your research though. Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way That is the link has some good info on Android Multi-tasking. When I got my phone Verizon installed one and after I researched it I took it off and my phone runs alot smoother now. Some people are having problems with their alarm clocks not going off and its because of the task killer. So if you do use your phone as an alarm and use a task killer beware.

3. I'm not completely sure about this. Again it is how Android is designed. I always keep pressing the back key until I'm at the home screen. Seems to work for me. Unless I am multi-tasking then I press the home key or long press the home key and select the other app.

4. Bad network signal or something. I haven't had a problem with it. My phone seems to switch back and forth just fine.

5. I am not completely sure how cell phones pick up a gps signal. If its actually data coming from the satellites or combination of cell phone towers and satellites. I do know that you can block a gps signal very easy. Being under a bridge, in a forest, and even clouds sometimes. Were you out in the open when this happen?

6. I cannot help you with that at all. Don't cuss or type it out I guess.

I hope I helped you some if anything I bumped it to the top and see if somebody else comments. Good Luck!

4. rfranken

thanks for the replay
    I've deleted my taskiller program 2 days ago. batter life seems....unaffected. phone responsiveness seems better at times...and worse at others. hard to say.

thanks for the tip about long press on the home key...didn't know that one.

3G comes back on its own if i wait long enough. I just need to be more patient. restarting does seem to bring it back slightly quicker though.

GPS is still not so good where i live. it's starting to pick me up here now. using not very close but at least getting the town i'm in correct on occasion.

Of the things I listed above...the one that is the most pressing for me still is how when in Google maps/navigator the screen will go black and i have to go back in the phone and unlock and restart my navigation. Doesn't matter if its plugged in or not.
    very very annoying.