• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new to android- stacks of questions

ok- have just got an x10 mini pro. i'm new to android and i initially found it very frustrating to have a load of vodafone apps clogging up the interface. so i went ahead and rooted using universal androot with titanium back-up (watched a youtube how-to) and this seemed to go ok, i got rid of most of what i needed to.

i'm needing some help on what's safe to bin without bricking the phone. i want a better browser than vodafone 360, which i can't seem to change AT ALL, even when i alter the settings. so... do i uninstall like the other apps, or do i risk cocking up the phone? and how do i install a new browser if i do get rid of it?

and one final thing... i've tried desperately to get rid of monopoly here and now, even with superuser permissions, it resolutely sits on the UI.

thanks for your help.

i'm needing some help on what's safe to bin without bricking the phone.

Hi.

First of all - Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini, ;)

so... do i uninstall like the other apps, or do i risk cocking up the phone?
I would have debranded from the get go so you didn't have any kind of network branding, but think you would be fine to remove the default browser so long as you install another. THIS might help deciding.

and how do i install a new browser if i do get rid of it?
Find the one you like on the Market, download and install it.

and one final thing... i've tried desperately to get rid of monopoly here and now, even with superuser permissions, it resolutely sits on the UI.
I had this annoyance trying to remove "Createtouch", if it's the same kind of issue, you need to uninstall it from the phone but you also need to remove the apk from data/app-private, otherwise it will just reinstall itself.

Just use your common sense when removing apps, but should you run into issues just reflash with SEUS. I've lost count at the amount of times I had to reflash when I first got mine and rooted it (using the old method), but glad I did because I'm the wiser for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones