• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android & The Forum

Hi everyone!

I'm on hour number 45 of being an Android user, on a Motorola Droid. I'm a heavy smartphone user, having first dabbled with them way back in 2005 on a Verizon/HTC VX6600. We've come a long long LONG way since that day!

We've truly entered into an era where... this was all essentially conceptual science fiction, in the 90s. Would I have anticipated this evolution of technology? Hah, no. I remember when a colleague introduced me to Bluetooth back in 2001, and I scoffed upon hearing about it. My thoughts were along the lines of - What are we ever gonna use this piece of crap for? Famous last words... now we can't live without it. :p

I tend to jump from platform to platform every year or so. I was an early iPhone adopter, and ditched the iPhone within 6 months. Unfortunately was locked into an AT&T contract at the time. Initially I went with Windows Mobile again, but, frankly it is nonfunctional and requires 50 steps to do even the most simple tasks. Utterly unbearable after a while.

I swore off Bill Gates and went for Nokia's offerings with Symbian S60. S60 is a great platform with lots of customization options available to it, however, it is clearly aging and locating applications to load was a manual process which involved lots of Google searches, and transferring binaries via Bluetooth (see? can't live without it!).

I wanted to get back into a more purebred, thoroughly 'modern' phone platform. Unfortunately the options are slim - there's the Android ecosystem, and the iPhone. And I hated the iPhone enough to ditch it within six months...

So, the option at this point was... which piece of hardware do I want? Held my breath and waited patiently for the Motorola Droid... and 46 hours in, now, I am still impressed. That's unprecedented! By this time, I was ready to throw the iPhone into the wall...

Oh yes, I'm a happy happy camper! :D

Hi everyone!

I'm on hour number 45 of being an Android user, on a Motorola Droid. I'm a heavy smartphone user, having first dabbled with them way back in 2005 on a Verizon/HTC VX6600. We've come a long long LONG way since that day!

We've truly entered into an era where... this was all essentially conceptual science fiction, in the 90s. Would I have anticipated this evolution of technology? Hah, no. I remember when a colleague introduced me to Bluetooth back in 2001, and I scoffed upon hearing about it. My thoughts were along the lines of - What are we ever gonna use this piece of crap for? Famous last words... now we can't live without it. :p

I tend to jump from platform to platform every year or so. I was an early iPhone adopter, and ditched the iPhone within 6 months. Unfortunately was locked into an AT&T contract at the time. Initially I went with Windows Mobile again, but, frankly it is nonfunctional and requires 50 steps to do even the most simple tasks. Utterly unbearable after a while.

I swore off Bill Gates and went for Nokia's offerings with Symbian S60. S60 is a great platform with lots of customization options available to it, however, it is clearly aging and locating applications to load was a manual process which involved lots of Google searches, and transferring binaries via Bluetooth (see? can't live without it!).

I wanted to get back into a more purebred, thoroughly 'modern' phone platform. Unfortunately the options are slim - there's the Android ecosystem, and the iPhone. And I hated the iPhone enough to ditch it within six months...

So, the option at this point was... which piece of hardware do I want? Held my breath and waited patiently for the Motorola Droid... and 46 hours in, now, I am still impressed. That's unprecedented! By this time, I was ready to throw the iPhone into the wall...

Oh yes, I'm a happy happy camper! :D

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones