• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new to Android TV ... and a question

steck9017

Lurker
Jul 3, 2015
just getting started on my OTT mxQ box.

seems intereting, Kodi and XBMC is where i'm learing all about this stuff.

yes, some movies are choppy, and stop while it 'buffers'. i'll try an ethernet cable next.

sounds stupid, but how to i get more Apps on this ? through google play? for instance, mine didnt come downloaded with facebook or instagram.

also how do we get more add-ons on Kodi/xbmc...ive been through the settings, select the one i want to add, and really nothing happens. do i need an Add on installer??

just working through some growing pains - 1st android device.

Hi,

Yes you can install new apps onto the android device by installing either through the play store or by downloading the required .apk file onto a USB stick and install from there.

To download add-ons for Kodi this can be done from installing a repository, again this is a .zip file downloaded to a USB stick and installed from there. You can then browse the repository and install the required add-in. Add on installer is a great place to start this has many useful add-ons to get you started.

http://www.tvaddons.ag/addon-installer-kodi/

Hope this helps,

Smoggy :)

Upvote 0
yes, some movies are choppy, and stop while it 'buffers'. i'll try an ethernet cable next.

Unfortunately the Wi-Fi on most Android TV boxes is quite poor and some people end up cracking open the unit and relocating the antenna or modding it. Some work perfectly fine if the wireless router is in the same room.

I recently purchased another TV box (Amlogic S812 based M8S) and the Wi-Fi is pretty mediocre.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones