New to Android

Last Updated:

1. jojorios

jojorios Member This Topic's Starter

Well I've been a long time user of WinMo and Iphones. The android world is all new to me. I have a few questions that hopefully are quick to answer:

1) Has anyone used the tethering that came built into the phone? That seems to be the only one that works for me. I tried PDAnet but I can't get it to work. But has anyone noticed that the internet is very slow when tethering?

2) I have rooted the phone and would like to remove some of the AT&T bloatware and what not but before I do, how easy is it to restore the phone back to factory? is it a matter of just using the restore to defaults option? Depending on my experience i may or may not return the phone in the 30 days.

3) Does anyone suggest a nice fast IM program. I'm using Palringo but there seems to be a nice big lag in between switching from buddy lists to chats.

Advertisement
  2. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

Try this method. There a few steps, but this method renames the files
    rather than deletes them so you can roll it back if you choose to later.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/124736-t-bloatware-getting-your-way-delete-some.html

3. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

Well if you have root, search in the market for Wireless Tether for Root Users. It's one of the best WiFi tether apps in my opinion.

Before you even start flashing, pushing, pulling, etc., create a NAND backup by booting into recovery. Rom manager is a good app for doing all this from the phone interface though I don't know how well it works (if at all l) with the galaxy phones.

As far as IM, I stopped using it a while ago, so I'm not caught up on the good ones. You could try going over to the incredible it Evo forums and perusing the apps section for some good ones.

4. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

Double post.

5. jojorios

6. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

1) Just wait a little bit and all the Wifi tethering apps *hopefully* should be updated to work with the samsungs.

2) use titanium backup to backup all the apps, and also delete them

3) Meebo

7. jojorios

The only problem is that I'm not looking to tether via wifi. I'm looking to tether via usb.

I'm actually running titanium backup right now. i did a batch backup all user apps + system data. I should be able to go ahead and uninstall anything i want now and be able to restore it from the backup at any time right? For example, if I where to go ahead and make more changes and ran the backup another lets say 3 to 4 times and wanted to restore the original at&t files from my first backup, they will still be there?

I will give meebo a try.

Thanks for the info!!