New to Android

Last Updated:

1. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm an at&t customer looking to throw my iPhone against the wall and grab the new Samsung Captivate.

I'm really new to Android but from what I've learned by reading on the web is that manufacturers/carriers mod the Android OS. I can't find any detailed pros/cons on whether or not manufacturers are making changes that ruin the Android experience by adding/taking away features. I'm weary of buying the wrong phone.

Can anyone help clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. mcgibbits

mcgibbits New Member

I can't speak to your question directly, but I recently upgraded from an HTC Fuze to the Captivate and love it. I was waiting to see how win7 phone was going and broke down for the Galaxy S when I realized win7 was likely going to be utterly craptastic compared to the direction and maturity of Android.

3. phillipm

phillipm New Member

I was going to wait until win7 phone also but after seeing the htc desire last weekend all I want now is an android phone.

Still not sure if I should get the HTC Desire or Samsung galaxy s...

4. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

It takes thirty seconds to download launcher pro which is a much better version of the stock interface. So don't let a manufacturer interface bother you.

5. Haris

Haris Well-Known Member

Both the Desire and the S look like great phones, obviously they have their differences and pros/cons to each. Just make sure you're happy with the options you get and remember, all carriers pretty much give you a 30 day "test drive" period nowadays so enjoy your new phone.

I left a BB Tour for my EVO and after 30 minutes I knew I could never go back...

6. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all of the help!

I've had my Captivate for a couple of days now and I love it!!!

What the hell was I doing with an iPhone for so long? haha

This forum is awesome btw.

7. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

I'm also an Applebot now an Android. While the uncertainty of updates is discouraging, this phone has been a real treat to use. I really hope Samsung steps it up with the updates. I'd like to stick with Android, and hoping Google fixes some of the problems it might face in the future.

8. techdaring

techdaring Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android. Enjoy with your Samsung Galaxy S :D I hear some news that Samsung ship a free Galaxy S to some consumers that boring iPhone. :D