• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new phone :)

(sorry took to long to write so others beat me to it)

I'll try to give you a start on this, feel free to ask if this doesn't help.

It's easy.
But you need to understand that there are free apps and paid apps.
Depending on what country you're in you won't get access to the paid apps (unless you get hold of a sim from a country with access to the android market).

So... the first option, using the app on your phone called Market.
First, enable wifi so the phone can get online.
If you don't have a wifi network you must use 3g data traffic, mind you, this cost extra so see your phone company's pricelist for data traffic.
Then just start the Market app on the phone and with it you can browse/search the andriod market and install the apps you want.

Tip: From within the Market app you also get updates, just hit the Download tab to see installed apps you've downloaded from the Market. From there you can also uninstall them.

Second option,
Still using the wifi (or 3g data, just remember that using 3g cost extra) open the app on the phone called NeoReader.
Browse the Internet with your computer (search google for free android apps) and some of the pages gives you an 2D QR barcodes. Simply point your camera on the phone on the bardoce and it will ask you if it's ok to visit the address - click yes/ok and you'll start download and install the app.

See examples of such barcodes here :
(the barcode is the square black'n white stuff on the right)
ADW.Launcher for Android

Third options is to visit pages where you can download the app you want.
This comes in .apk files. Just connect your phone to the computer with the usb cable (no need for either wifi or 3g data on this one).
Copy the .apk file to the SD card on your phone.
To install it, you'll need an app called AppInstaller (get it from Market), and from that app you'll install the .apk you downloaded.

Hope this helps

Reactions: alizzz79
Upvote 0
Hm, not sure why you can't find the Market app in you phone.
The icon looks like this :
android-market.jpg

Upvote 0
Yea usually it is extremely difficult (or close to impossible) to install the market app manually - Slide Me etc are good alternatives to the market app itself though - If you've gotten your phone from the Middle East etc then it might be possibly the reason because of which your phone does not have the Market app - Like MiniDroid said - an update can fix that for you etc -

(Hahah sorry for the vague quick response as well - MiniDroid has actually done a better job of explaining it all)

Upvote 0
Firmware update:
Connect your phone to the computer via the usb cable provided when you bought the phone.
You'll get 3 options, install pc companion if you've not done this yet.
If you've installed, you just press the first option - connect your phone.

Then on the computer in the pc comanpion program, choose the Support Zone.

Mind you, please backup your contacts and messages before you continue.
Also, there's a users guid app on the phone - read it, it's really easy.

Upvote 0
If your from Pakistan then the phone you bought was most definitely shipped in from Dubai - I had the samsung galaxy a couple of months back (running on android 1.5) - the market app was missing from there - with the galaxy i had the option of flashing it etc so i flashed the U.K. firmware updates and the market app appeared - the xperia mini i have is also shipped from Dubai but i have the market app on it - mini runs android 1.6 and so far all the ones that i have seen that have been shipped from the middle east do not seem to be missing the market app -

Upvote 0
Someone else on here has the same problem as you Ali - It has to do with the fact that android has not yet provided the android market app for the middle east region (For whatever reasons that i am not aware of ) - but i guess even when you try to update your phone using the official stock updates available from other regions, the update only provides you with an update specific to the region the phone is from (in this case the Middle East) - I have mentioned this somewhere else on here as well that i had a similar problem with my Samsung Galaxy (which ran android 1.5 and had no market app) - but with galaxy i had the option of flashing it (which means getting rid of the default operating android 1.5 system completely) and then putting in a firmware completely from a different region which fixed my problem and i had access to the default android market etc - but with x10 mini, as far as i know - there is no way to flash it yet etc (Except for rooting it, which has been put up by MiniDroid here - but that does not solve your problem for now) - so when your phone's firmware gets updated, it gets updated in the way it is supposed to get updated by default etc - don't worry though - you can use Slide Me for now (as i have mentioned earlier not sure if it was here or somewhere else on here in the forums - Slide Me will provide you with a set of applications that can be found in the default android market and some apps that are not available in the android market etc) -

Reactions: alizzz79
Upvote 0
how can i make group or send sms to many contacts ? i cant find group option .. kindly help please

on the text message screen
click the left hardware button
and select edit recipients
then you have the choice to add more contacts one by one though

and for groups you can't, there are apps that can do this but you seem to be struggling to get apps so i guess you can't at the moment

Upvote 0
Hm, the left hardware button goes back one step....

This is how I do it.

- Open the messages app.
- tap on "new message" at the top of the screen.
- tap on "add recipient" at the top of the screen.
- choose your first recipient
- click the RIGHT hardware button
- tap on the "edit recipients" button.
- tap "add recipient" (or the X behind a recipient you want removed)

As for groups, I can't find any options for that either.
I see there's apps to do this, but since you can't get apps you're stuck at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones