New to Android.

Last Updated:

1. soda4rocky

soda4rocky Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone...been lurking for the past week trying to get info on the new Samsung Captivate. I ordered it Sunday, and it arrives tomorrow! Anyway, I look forward to having questions answered here. I am upgrading from an iPhone 3G. My main concern are the crappy bloatware apps and compatibility with my Macbook Pro. I have read about GPS, but I don't use it too often anyway. Anyway, your forum has been very helpful...

Advertisement
    darkrequiem likes this.
  2. Frenzy2223

Frenzy2223 Well-Known Member

I switched from an iPhone 3G also and I love my Captivate. I use launcher pro and it has the option to hide all the at&t crap that you don't want to see. I think you can buy an app called system panel that allows you to "freeze" the bloat ware apps.

The only things I really miss about my iPhone is the keyboard, the Facebook app and decent yahoo mail access. The GPS is also an issue although I don't use it much, It does suck!

3. soda4rocky

Do you have to Root to use Launcher Pro?

What is wrong with the Facebook app? Is it different than on iPhone? i would figure it was the same. I use it A LOT!

4. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

No you dont need to root to use launcher pro. it helps in hiding apps, but not freezing mean they will still work in background, if u have closed them properly.

System panel doesnt freeze any app. it kills them (like task killers) and monitor cpu usage (like task manager in window pc). Titianium backup can freeze apps, but it needs root.

Facebook app is similar to iphone, but less efficient and no chat. But you can use other IM apps (ebuddy is good) for fb chat. They are still working on FB app, its improving after every update but not yet upto the level of Iphone FB app.

I am sure there are drivers for Mac...if you find them let me know(first google it)

5. soda4rocky

Cool thanks for the info. I am really excited...UPS is delivering tomorrow. TAKING FOREVER. My only wish is that it came preloaded with Froyo, but I guess it won't.

6. Frenzy2223

Frenzy2223 Well-Known Member

The Facebook app is ok, but there are some issues. I tend to use my iPhone for Facebook when wifi is available. The issues that bother me are: very slow loading of friends photo albums, no option that I'm aware of to change profile photo, does not show "friends in common" under friend info, does not allow you to view your friends friend list and notifications are very slow.

7. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

I use tweet deck for facebook, easily takes me to web browser for everything. Its not like iphone but still can be usable till Facebook thinks to improve Android FB app.

8. klincher

klincher Member

hi guys

9. klincher

klincher Member

hi all i live in egypt and i want to buy htc desire phone with service plan but all these companies are insisting that i should have a credit card or drivers license.is there any of you who lives in egypt by the way?

10. klincher

klincher Member

can anyone help me plz

11. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

No one. Why? Because your question isn't even nearly relevant to this forum.

12. klincher

klincher Member

iam new to android
    isn't that what the forum is about

13. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

Your questions don't pertain to the Samsung Captivate, nor any other Android phone for that matter. The only things I make out of your initial post are:
    1. You have no credit card
    2. You have no driver's license
    3. You live in Egypt

14. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

He wants an Desire though. That's pertinent. :rolleyes: He needs to contact his local carrier though. To answer his question, as far as I know there is no one from Egypt on the Captivate forums except for you. :(

15. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Well-Known Member

Haha funny stuff.

16. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The forum is about Android. The specific board on this forum that you posted in is about the Samsung Captivate, which is a phone on the AT&T network in the USA.

That is why your post is off-topic. Also, it is not polite to hijack other peoples' threads. Start your own.

The board for the HTC Desire is here:
    HTC Desire - Android Forums

17. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I also came from an iPhone 3G; you're going to love this phone. The widgets, customization, multitasking, and notification bar blow away the iPhone's UI.

There's a real popular app called Titanium backup. This allows you to "freeze" apps that you don't want to run. I've noticed that the available ROMs that remove bloatware seem to have better battery life than the OEM ROM. So, this may be useful for you.

I don't think you'll have a problem with syncing with the Macbook. The Captivate can be recognized as a mass storage device. You won't be able to use iTunes with it, but you can find software (e.g. DoubleTwist) that will sync iTunes with your mass storage device - like a middle-man.

Another tip - You'll hear that a lot of people use task killers. I don't recommend using them. Search the topic and you'll find that Android > 1.6 does a GREAT job of managing memory. Just as you let your Macbook manage it's own memory, let your phone do the same. Task killers can do more harm than good. I've also noticed that I get better battery life without them.

Heads up - when I first got my phone, the battery lasted about 6 - 8 hours. After a few days, the battery "conditioned" itself or something because the phone would start to last over 24 hours. Many people have noted the same experience.

Finally, the ROMs devs whip up are awesome. They're much better than the stock experience. There's a REALLY small chance that you can ruin your phone if you choose to flash these custom ROMs. People say that you'll void your warranty, but I don't really see how. You can always flash back to OEM so it's just like it was out of the box. I personally use Cognition found here: [ROM]Cognition v2.3b6 - xda-developers

Have fun and welcome to Android.

18. soda4rocky

Thanks again for that info. I am leaving in a few hours to go out of town for Thanksgiving, and the UPS man is NOT here yet. What horrible timing on my part. Anyway, going from an iPhone 3G to the Captivate= did the size bother you? I was just checking the "fake" one out at the store and it was definitely larger than the iPhone. Hope that doesn't bother me too much.

Cannot WAIT TO GET MINE.

19. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Search is your friend. ;) Not only is this asked often on these forums, but the Captivate FAQ (already provided to you in my and viny2cool's signatures) has info for you on this:

Uninstalling stock apps - CapFAQ

20. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

If you're using one hand, you do have to "reach" a bit more with your thumb in order to reach the top of your screen. But after a bit, you get used to it.

21. soda4rocky

Haha, yeah, your link is amazing. that helps A LOT. just a curious/antsy first timer.

The size almost made me not get it, but decided too anyway. haha, for some reason it surprised me. the screen is the "whole" phone though which is cool to me.

22. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

I will second skinien's comments on 2 items: Task killers: definitely not needed imo. I was a little taken aback when I first got my Captivate, wondering how you "close" an application. Coming from Symbian, I didn't get it..so I installed ATK. Needless to say after a few days it was uninstalled...other item: Battery life definitely improves. I can get a whole day and then some with "regular" use (I know that differs with everybody)...but an extra battery along with the Samsung external charger helps with the stress of a low battery when not near a charger..I'd recommend that. It's on Amazon for about $45, including the extra battery