New to AndroidSupport

Last Updated:

1. SysAdmNj

SysAdmNj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm on AT&T using the Blackberry Bold, and I'm ready to come back to Verizon for this HTC incredible. I was also considering HTC Evo as those features look great but with no 4G coverage in my area, I dont see the point. Also, I believe Verizon has a broader range of phones just in case I want to try something different not too mention that Iphone will be coming as well.

But now for the HTC incredible questions.
    1. Does flash already come installed, or do you have to go install it.
    2. Is it true flash is a battery hog, would using the skyfire browser kill battery even quicker?
    3. I understand froyo isnt out yet, or is it?
    4. Would rooting this phone allow you to install froyo on your own? Sort of like jailbreaking with the iphone?
    5. Why would I want to root this phone? Just for free apps? As if there wasnt enough already lol. Other reasons?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'm about to go to a verizon store tomorrow. I tried the first google phone years ago btw and did not like the interface or lack of notifications as compared to the blackberry. I'm sure Android has come a long way since then. TIA

Advertisement
  2. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

1. Does flash already come installed, or do you have to go install it.
    It comes installed but it is Flash Lite, not a full featured Flash client. It works, but not too great. With 2.2 comes an official Flash client that seems to work great in all the videos I have seen.

2. Is it true flash is a battery hog, would using the skyfire browser kill battery even quicker?
    Skyfire wouldn't kill battery more quickly (apart from using the data to get the video to your phone) because Skyfire does some behind the scenes processing of a flash video on their servers. This video is then sent to you to an Android native format, not Flash.

3. I understand froyo isnt out yet, or is it?
    Froyo is kind of out. There are leaked builds that are on the N1 and Evo. However, both of these are not official. Updates to 2.2 will come, HTC has promised it but it is unknown exactly when. It is sure to be later than the N1 due to Sense UI. You could root your phone (whenever a root is found) to get 2.2 unofficially but for an official method you will have to wait.

4. Would rooting this phone allow you to install froyo on your own? Sort of like jailbreaking with the iphone?
    Yes it would, I don't know too much about this but yes, with a root Froyo could be ported to the Incredible by the community. Its kind of like Jailbreaking the iPhone, but not quite. A Jailbroken iPhone gains the ability to install apps that are not signed by Apple. An Android phone can do this already. A root basically allows for themes, custom roms, and unlimited tethering. There are apps that require root as well (such as Ad Blockers).

5. Why would I want to root this phone? Just for free apps? As if there wasnt enough already lol. Other reasons?
    See #4. Custom Roms (including Froyo), themes, tethering, apps that require root access. A root for an Android phone is not nearly as "game changing" as Jailbreaking your iPhone.

Please +thanks if this helped you. Ask more questions if you like!

SysAdmNj likes this.
  3. SysAdmNj

Thanks, more questions for anyone.

1. If I get an email attachment with an mpeg video on it, or even a 3gp video on it, will I be able to save it to the phone or sd card and play it with no problems?

2. Or even if I have an micro sd card from my blackberry containing photos, mpeg/3gp clips. If I simply insert it into the HTC Incredible will it play them.

3. Does this have some sort of LED notification lights? If so, how customizable is it? I'm pretty spoiled with the blackberry as far as setting different led colors and sounds for different email accounts, even specific contacts.

4. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

Yes it does, but it can only display green or orange (and some say red, but I've never seen red on mine).

You can, however, set different notification sounds.

SysAdmNj likes this.
  5. SysAdmNj

Cool, What about the mpeg and 3gp video? Will it play it from an email attachment?

6. mrjinglesusa

Don't know. Never received an email with an MPEG or 3gp attachment. If you want to send me one I'll check. Email is my username on here at gmail.com.

SysAdmNj likes this.
  7. SysAdmNj

Thanks, you got mail.

8. mrjinglesusa

Ok, here's what I found:

1) None of the attached movies can be viewed directly in K-9 Mail, Default Mail app, or Gmail app. All of the above mail programs required me to download attachment and open in a dedicated video player (e.g., DoubleTwist, default video player, Meridian, etc.)

2) .MPG movie cannot be viewed on the Incredible in DoubleTwist, default player, Meridian, etc.

Hope this helps...

SysAdmNj likes this.
  9. SysAdmNj

It did thanks, at least 2 out of 3 isnt bad.