New to Apps, what is safe?Support

Last Updated:

1. tallyplouffe

tallyplouffe Member This Topic's Starter

When the 'warning' comes up stating that the free app will have access to your phone calls (etc), is this ok?! What does that really mean? New to downloading apps, but want to be able to navigate what is safe and what is not.:(

Advertisement
  2. erachilla

erachilla Member

Your best defense against downloading a malicious app is reading the comments and ratings... you shouldn't entirely go off app permissions as they may be there for backward compatibility or so they can allow your phone to function... as I understand it most apps will have access to phone calls so the app will freeze when you receive one... however access to make phone calls is different... Just read up on what other people have to say about the app if it is questionable and use your best judgment... for example... if you want to download pong but it wants permission to make phone calls it might not be the best idea...

Good Luck and enjoy your apps!!!

tallyplouffe likes this.
  3. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

Good for you for watching those privileges! I usually don't mind the phone reading phone state and identity. Some apps need access to contacts because they implement a "share with your friends" function.

Internet access--I only allow it if the app has a darn good reason for it.
    SD card access--same as above
    Make phone calls--same as above
    ...whatever it is, if you don't think the app should have that privilege to carry out it's function, don't install it and find another app.

Be careful what you enter passwords into...browsers, bank apps, ftp programs. You really have to trust the maker.

Google and security researchers are constantly scanning the apps in the market for safety so you usually don't have to worry too much. Do be careful about installing apps you find on the Internet. Don't do it unless you trust the source!

tallyplouffe likes this.