New to Droid, a few questons (tether,etc)

Last Updated:

1. Walkerfan

Walkerfan New Member This Topic's Starter

I recently moved to an area that has limited internet choices which in turn makes for higher internet prices and longer contracts. A friend suggested a droid and tethering it using pdanet to my Mac. I use my internet primarily for browsing, sometimes I'd like to watch hulu or small pdf files through e-mail.

Would this be a good option to consider or should I go with an internet connection?

If I choose a droid, which one is the best one for tethering? I'm somewhat drawn to the ones with touch screens and no keyboards....but will listen to your reviews.

Supposedly verizon has a bandwidth limit of 5gb. Anyone know if that is monthly? How much is 5gb? Am I going to find myself a month out hating that I made the choice to rely on a droid for my primary internet source?

Is there anything else I need to know about tethering a droid to my mac? Are there restrictions for OS X? Is there anything else I should know so I don't get the phone and hate myself later?

Thanks in advance for all of the wisdom!

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I'm not sure if you are the same person, but I answered this EXACT question, word for word, a couple days ago.

3. faber78

faber78 Guest

^then post a link....

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I cant find it, but something wierds going on here. There a few threads that i commented on that arent there anymore. Its like everything from the last 2 days was deleted.

5. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

I use easytether to hook my laptop up to inet. I have cancelled myhome inet after a month of trying it out. No regrets.

My inet now travels with me, instead of leaving it at home.... just like my phone service follows me, not left at home.

As far as the limited 'unlimited data' plan.... I have had no issues and I exceed it every month. All this boils down to are internet forum people who think you are 'ruining it for others' will spout off scare tactics like....
    'You will possibly be billed 18k like this guy (who did it on a dumb phone 7 years ago but since we can't find a situation of a droid user being billed for tethering, we will use this as our proof)
    'Using lots of data will lead to 'tiered teathering plans' (although noone can prove A causes B)
    'Read your T.O.S. agreement, verizon can cancel you and make you pay early termination fees' yet noone can site even one source that proves it.....

Then the hate comes....."I can't wait til you get caught"

All I can do is tell you I'm happy and have no regrets

Then the hate comes out

6. C_wrightsman

C_wrightsman New Member

How can I connect my lg optimus s to my imac via bluetooth so I can use the internet from my phone?

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Which device is providing internet access?