New To Droid, Need HelpSupport

Last Updated:

1. Aestu

Aestu New Member This Topic's Starter

My new Motorola Droid just arrived in the mail.

Honestly, I hate this thing. It runs hot, which makes me wary about long-term performance and safety. It's as if the designers built it to function as a desktop, but with the scale and physical interface of a mobile device; it's ridiculously over-engineered, and the features on the touch screen are too small to be accurately hit with my fingers; I keep fat-fingering other buttons. I guess maybe if I were Asian I'd have better luck. I really wish it could use a stylus, so I don't have to choose between using a screenguard and scrubbing my hands for surgery every time I want to use the device.

Nonetheless, I'm stuck with it. Maybe it will grow on me, I don't know.

Anyway, the issues I'm looking at:
    1. Is there a way to configure the Motorola Droid to use a stylus? If not, what's the best screencover for it?
    2. How do I download a TXT file from a webpage to the phone? Specifically, I'm looking to download this page:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2846/2846.txt
    3. How do I remove all these useless widgets/apps/whatever from the phone: Facebook, Goggles, MP3 Store, News & Weather, Talk, Visual VM, Voice Dialer...I want a very minimalist interface. I tried dragging and dropping them to the trash, but it doesn't seem to work.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

1) No stylus, as it is a capacitive interface (from what I remember when researching this myself). And the screen is Gorillaglass - it'll withstand a lot (some folks have reported that grains of sand are bar for it, but I don't live near a beach, so I keep mine uncovered now.

I originally purchased a pack of screen protectors, use one for 3 days until I noticed tiny fibers in multiple places. I removed it and tried to get a second one on - same thing. Finally got fed up and started researching the 'new military-grade' skins (numerous versions now). I finally decided that I would rather use a case and holster system rather than put it in my pocket, since it is in the car dock in when I am in the car and in the MM Dock when I am at home - and thus settled for the Case / holster combo from VZW.

The debate rages on and one about whether one should or should not use these screen protectors. Me, personally, I think it should be *your* choice - what I think is *good* may not be so good for you.

2) The easiest way I can see to grab that text file would be to try to use the Chrome to Phone apps (one installs in your phone, the other in your browser - the link has the one for the Google Chrome browser, and Addons.Mozilla.org has one for Firefox called Send to Phone.

To remove a widget, long press the widget itself - when the phone vibrates, you should see the app drawer icon turn into a trash can. Drag the widget to the trash can and it disappears.

HTH

3. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

Anyway, the issues I'm looking at:
    1. Is there a way to configure the Motorola Droid to use a stylus? If not, what's the best screencover for it?

link>>>>capacitive touch screen stylus - Google Product Search <<<<<<<<
    check this page out, you can buy a stylus for the iphone, which is capacitive touch screen. never tried it, but should work the same

2. How do I download a TXT file from a webpage to the phone? Specifically, I'm looking to download this page:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2846/2846.txt

OK, to copy the text you want, it can be kinda tricky to get used to. hit the menu button>>>more>>>select text. at this point, for the page you left as an example, you would touch the screen at the point you wish to start. I haven't figured out how to make the screen scroll down while your are selecting the text. hopefully someone else can take it from here. when you have completed your selection of text, it is automatically saved to the clipboard. be careful, cause the clipboard can only store one item at a time.

3. How do I remove all these useless widgets/apps/whatever from the phone: Facebook, Goggles, MP3 Store, News & Weather, Talk, Visual VM, Voice Dialer...I want a very minimalist interface. I tried dragging and dropping them to the trash, but it doesn't seem to work.

to actually remove (uninstall) the apps you listed from your phone you will have to root it. lots more on that in other sections of this forum.

hope this helps ya.