New to droid, newer to root...

Last Updated:

1. FormeriPhoney

FormeriPhoney Member This Topic's Starter

I'm thinking about rooting my dx, I was wondering..if your rooted and an official software update our fix comes out...what exactly is the situation? Do you lose the root?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

You will lose root. As it sits now, when people were running 2.1 stock and 2.2 (Froyo) came out OTA (Over the air) people lost root. But you can root again using the Droid 2 method. Problem is you lose the 2.1 bootloader which is what all the current ROM's are based off of. If you don't mind not running a rom then get the 2.2 OTA update... I personally like my ROMs... Long live Tranquility 2.3.5.

3. FormeriPhoney

I'm not gonna mess with any rom's or go too deep. I'm mainly looking to remove bloat; wireless tether; screenshot and a few minor tweaks.

Does that change anything for me?

Thanks.

4. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

If that's all you're wanting to do then you are good.

5. FormeriPhoney

Root here I come!

6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Once you start you can never stop. I rooted 2.1 with no added themes. Then I got the 2.2 ota and lost root. I regained it and went to custom themes. I love being able to do this and my phone is waaaay beautiful, if I do say so myself. Once you start, you won't be able to stop! I have a theme on now, called BGX, and I'm thinking of trying a different one. :)

7. FormeriPhoney

I know, I have no doubt that I'll be knee deep in rooting madness soon enough.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions in the near future..
    Some terms I don't understand. "busybox, deodox...etc" I really have no clue what any of that is yet.

8. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

From wikipedia:

BusyBox
    is a software application that provides many standard Unix tools, much like the larger (but more capable) GNU Core Utilities. BusyBox is designed to be a small executable for use with the Linux kernel, which makes it ideal for use with embedded devices. It has been self-dubbed "The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux". It is released as free software under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

From Droidforums.net:

Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.

9. FormeriPhoney

OK,, just rooted.. D2 version.. pretty simple.

Told me, congratulations you are now rooted.

How do i know it went through?