New to Droid, Potentially rooted phone, where to start

Last Updated:

1. zzzBrett

zzzBrett New Member This Topic's Starter

May 14, 2010

A little background info: Just bought a used HTC Eris off a guy who says he rooted the phone. I am fairly tech savvy and use linux on all of my computers, so i'm quite familiar with root, su, etc.

So I downloaded a terminal emulator from market and typed 'su' and got a pound sign--from what I read, this indicates that the phone has been 'rooted'. However, i'm having a few problems, and I'm not sure where I should start.

1. Wireless tethering doesn't work--it says "unable to start tethering"
    2. When i rotate to landscape mode in the terminal emulator, the app crashes.
    3. GPS / google maps crash when typing to / from destination for directions.

So to fix this, I thought it'd be nice to get the "freshest" rooted rom on the device and kind of start over. When I started reading the how-to's, however, I see a lot of warnings about "do this for this leak", "do this for another leak", etc.. and the problem is I'm not sure where I'm at and not even 100% sure the phone was rooted properly. (oh and I can't telnet to localhost, not sure if telnet server on the droid is enabled by default after rooting).

Currently, the software info says:
    Firmware Version: 2.1
    Kernel: 2.6.29-5898f66b
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
    Build number: 2.19.605.1 CL123435 test-keys

Sorry for the long thread, thanks for reading.

2. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Do you have a recovery image on the phone? Try booting to recovery by holding vol up + pwr after the phone has been shut down. If you get nothing but an image with an <!> you dont have a recovery image for flashing roms and need to flash a recovery image to it. This step can be done by reading the sticky at the top of this forum.
  3. Necron80

Necron80 Member

Dec 9, 2009
    as for the Roms there are many listed here and on XDA
  4. bucks

bucks New Member

May 13, 2010
    I am really not tech savy, and I was having the same google maps problem. After some research, I found that I needed my build number to say release keys not test test keys. I used the eclips3 all in one root installer. I chose the official eris rom, and I am now up and running fine. Google maps and navigator work fine now.