New to droid X, couple questions about RAM vs internal storageSupport

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

1. I came from the droid that did not have internal storage, and I have a friend with the droid incredible that does. When he connects the incredible to his computer he is able to access both his internal storage and his SD card. They show up as drive F and G. I can only access my SD card. Drive F is the only one that shows up on mine.

2. I had read many articles about prior to 2.2 the droid x and droid incredible could not store apps to the internal storage (not SD card). Engadget and Phandroid both explained why. They were the first phones to have an internal storage other than RAM/ROM and the operating system was not written to be able to write apps to anything other than RAM/ROM for copy write purposes. I also found where people were rooting their phone for this reason so that they could get their apps on either the internal storage or the SD card. So now that we have 2.2, are the apps going to the internal storage and leaving all the RAM for memory and not storage? Where can I see how much free memory I have? I mainly want to know because I am a freak about keeping my phone fast and clean. I do like to try apps, but in the past if it's an app I don't use all the time, I will get rid of it to keep it running great! Again, I came from the droid that had 256 not 512 like the DX. But if I know for sure that the apps are being stored on the 8 gigs of internal storage I will start keeping a lot more apps on my phone.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

This is all incorrect.

All Android phones have internal storage. Your original Droid had 512mb of internal storage. Your new Droid X has 8gb of internal storage.

All of the phones can store apps on the internal storage. That is how they are stored.

RAM does not store apps. It's volatile and goes away when the phone is powered off.

Prior to 2.2, you could not store apps on the SD card without a hack.

There have been some limitations on the amount of internal storage that could be used by some phones. I am not entirely clear on those details (I believe it was because part of the internal storage was partitioned to be accessible by the user, and part was partitioned to be reserved for apps).

To be clear: RAM is not storage. RAM is transient and is used for running applications. Your apps are being stored on the 8gb of internal storage.

3. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I did use RAM when I meant ROM. Sorry about that. Here is a quote on the droid incredible review.

The Incredible sports a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. That's par for the course for a top-of-the-line smartphone, especially one with a screen this size. Same goes for the 512MB of RAM and 740MB of ROM. The bottom line is you're really going to have to work at it if you're tying to bog down the Incredible. (Updated 4/21: The phone actually reports having 748MB of "phone memory," while every spec we've received shows 512MB of ROM. HTC tells us that apps can be installed to the entire 748MB.)

So in case of the incredible, apps can only be stored on the 748MB of ROM but not the 8 gigs of internal storage that comes with it.

Just found a website that explains it a little bit better. The droid incredible had 748MB of ROM plus 8 gigs of internal storage, but the ROM for the X is the 8 gigs of internal storage used for app storage. One of my mistakes was thinking that the X was like the incredible with the RAM/ROM and internal storage setup.

Good to know, thanks.

4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Yeah, the issue is that, for security, apps can only be stored in a secure partition, which will not mount on your computer.

So, in the case of the Incredible, they've partitioned off part of that internal storage to be a secure partition for apps, but the other part of the storage is mountable on your computer. I'm guessing the storage isn't even actually physically separate - it's probably just one big chunk of flash chips that is partitioned into two sections. Just a guess, though.