New to EVO/Android, couple of questions...Support

Last Updated:

1. IgnatiusTheKing

IgnatiusTheKing Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've just switched over to the EVO after two years with an iPhone 3G, and so far I'm loving it. I had a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer for (here or via a Google search).

1. Mounting the SD card. When I plug my phone into my computer (a Mac) and switch it to disk mode, it shows up on the desktop as "NO NAME". Is it safe to change this to something else, and if I do, will it stick and show up with the new name the next time I plug it in?
    2. Backing up the phone. I have contacts and calendars syncing through Google, but what about all of my settings, apps and things? Is their a way to backup all my phone's data to a file somewhere on my computer, so if something happens and my phone dies, I can restore everything to the way it was without having to download every app again, reset every ringtone, etc.?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

If you rename it on the MAC, that does nothing to the phone. All it does is rename the shortcut everytime you plug it in. So you can change it to whatever you want.

Currently, you cannot backup apps and settings all in one. You can use an app called App Brain, which will make a list of all your installed apps and save that list, but it doesnt actually backup the data associated with the apps. However, Froyo should be coming out in a few days, which is supposed to provide a built-in app and app settings backup.

IgnatiusTheKing likes this.