New to Evo from iPhoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. jsenvisky

jsenvisky Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to android. I just switched over from iPhone 3GS as of two days ago. I have been up to date with jailbreaking for the iPhone ever since the 3G days. The main things i enjoyed on that were tweaks and free apps via installous. Through rooting, is there a way to get free paid apps easily, or is the only way to do this through the buy the app, copy the data, transfer it, and then return the app method? Also, to under clock*** (I have an HTC EVO (and am very disappointed in the battery life, any help on that aside from underclocking and disabling pretty much every data function on the phone would be great (disabling mobile data is how I'm conserving life as of now)) and i wish to customize it as easily and productively as i did my iPhone) *** I must use an app to change cpu speed, or can that be done in other methods? Or is there a way to change it so it uses so much on less demanding tasks, and uses more during certain apps, because so far I haven't seen a reason for 1Ghz, only a fraction of that to run browser, games and messages... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

Free and paid are separate concepts. Buying something, copying it, and then returning it is not legal - and any exchange of such info is not condoned or tolerated by AndroidForums.com.

That said - most all of the good stuff is truly free anyway - this is Android.

The multitasking scheme on Android is like Windows or OSX - because it's truly Linux - and not at all like iOS. You can get modest improvements messing around with the execution profile, but your best bet is to cruise over to the Support sub-forum, check the top sticky post, and catch the advice on how to tune your phone and the battery tips linked in the top sticky at the Tips&Tricks sub-forum (links below).

With Android and the Evo's architecture, the main processor in your Evo automagically slows and speeds to accommodate load - you're probably running at an actual speed of around 300 MHz most of the time right now (tools exist to show you that) - so underclocking won't save you - but those other tips will - see:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/172681-htc-evo-4g-support-troubleshoot-guide-updated-8-38pst-sept-9-2010-a.html

And:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/172694-htc-evo-4g-tips-tricks-guide-updated-8-53pst-sept-9-2010-a.html

This isn't an iPhone, and I promise you'll enjoy your Evo a lot more.

3. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

Once you root your EVO, there are apps to increase and decrease the cpu and other things to help with battery life. Also look for the "increase battery life" thread and it will give you some ideas on what to turn on and off to help some.

I have used all iPhones, iPad and have an EVO and prefer the EVO. I do still have an iPad so I use that to get apps that Android doesnt have yet.
    '

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Welcome!!! And you will get it figured out. There is a steep learning curve at first. Since it sounds like you are relatively tech savvy, you might check into rooting as well. I am rooted and on a custom ROM and my battery life is crazy good. Anyway, have fun. Android takes a little more work than iOS but it is also more rewarding.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. jsenvisky

jsenvisky Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for all of your help. I've been eagerly awaiting a way to root my device, because as of now, my boot room isn't supported, nor my software version. However I did play around with settings and experimented with a few apps for increased battery life. Juice defender seems to have done the trick with a lot of my battery problems. I have been able to get my battery to last from 3-11:30 p.m. for three days on a single charge. Most of which has been airplane mode when I'm at the gym, and turning of mobile data except when i want to download something or look something up. I am still trying to find a way to leave it on all the time and get decent battery life, but I cannot seem to figure that out just yet. When I root, I will try a custom ROM, I read that they help with battery life.