• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to HTC Desire, New to Android

casserced

Lurker
Apr 26, 2010
Hi
I have had an HTC Desire for a couple of weeks now.... had an iphone... but I am not that keen on Apple as a company.. so I thought I would try something different.

Although I like the Desire (looks good, handles pretty well, easier to customise that iphone (though I had jailbroken mine which made it better) I am also very dissapointed by some let downs:
1) Address Book: no field available for a website address (can use the "note" field but does not hyperlink)
2) More customisable labels for contacts (edit your own labels/add more)
3) Calendar . According to the Desire manual I can delete or edit one occurence of a series of recurring events,.... try as hard as I can...impossible! The only options are either to edit or delete THIS AND ALL FUTURE EVENTS or ALL EVENTS IS THE SERIES .... no choice to change/delee a single event... that is annoying...and more than a small bug!!!!!
4) Internal Memory: discussed other places in the forum... really really shocking
5) Music Player: the one thing iphone is really better at! The one that comes with the desire is just poor.... does not recognise all the genres (if, like me you have arabic music, african music, spanish music etc... they are all lumped under "unknown genre" , the album list is inacurate if the album is a compilation album). A Cover flow would be good.
I have tried 4 different music apps (tunewiki, mixzing, muzeek and something else.... )none good enough! Finding a good quality address book on the app market has so far proved impossible. Same with a good calendar/task manager.
5) App Market: cannot clear the search list...... that I am sure eats memory!
6) Barcode: everytime I scan the barcode for an app I would like I get an error (not found). I use Barcode Scanner
7) For a system that claims to be customsable the ability to remove native apps I will not use would be good

Although I am not an apple fan, when it comes to contact management, task management and music, iphone wins hands down for me... for the rest.. HTC Desire rocks!!!

For your first question, when you are creating a contact, set the contact type to "Google" or "phone". This will then give you the option to add address, email, birthday info, etc.

Also if you go into your Googlemail account on the computer, you can change more information about your contacts. Option to add a website to a contact is found here.

4) You will have to edit the properties of the MP3 file on your computer and make sure all genre names are exactly the same

5)To clear the cache from the market simply go to settings > applications > manage applications > market and then click the clear cache button

Upvote 0
Hi
Thanks for getting back.
The issue with the contact is that you cannot allocate a websiste to this contact (e.g bank/bank address/bank phone..... no space for link to your bank website).
For the labels: I have a private mobile work, a work mobile work, a work mobile UAE, a work mobile Qatar. A landline phone for each, a home email, a work email and anothr private email. a skype, a yahoo and msn. An office address in London, in Dubai, in Abu Dhabi, in Doha etc..... now on the Nokia E71 i had or the iphone I could create a label for each so at one glance I would know which number/address/email was which.... my partner has the same amount of phones/email etc... and most of the people I know too..... and website!
Re the Market App: thanks... I have cleared the cache but all my previous searches still show....

Upvote 0
For your first question, when you are creating a contact, set the contact type to "Google" or "phone". This will then give you the option to add address, email, birthday info, etc.

Thanks for that, I wondered why one of the contacts I added went in as a google contact.

Now a question on this. If I have added a person as a google contact, how would I change it to a phone contact? I can't find the option to change it (I'm I being think here? LOL)

Upvote 0
Hi
Thanks for getting back.
The issue with the contact is that you cannot allocate a websiste to this contact (e.g bank/bank address/bank phone..... no space for link to your bank website).
For the labels: I have a private mobile work, a work mobile work, a work mobile UAE, a work mobile Qatar. A landline phone for each, a home email, a work email and anothr private email. a skype, a yahoo and msn. An office address in London, in Dubai, in Abu Dhabi, in Doha etc..... now on the Nokia E71 i had or the iphone I could create a label for each so at one glance I would know which number/address/email was which.... my partner has the same amount of phones/email etc... and most of the people I know too..... and website!
Re the Market App: thanks... I have cleared the cache but all my previous searches still show....

for email you have to go to contact information. then press menu button and chose Edit. and when you have a screen where you eddit the contact information at the bottom you see there's Others section and Add. press on Add and you willl get many more options of information you want to add to your contact including email, IM, Postal address, or other which you want to specify. hope that helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones