New to HTC HERO

Last Updated:

1. hassan

hassan New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello guys, I am new to HTC Hero, and want to ask few questions from the experts sitting here...firstly my mobile has a tag of T mobile, but i am using it with another sim in a country where HTC hero was not released...so meaning my phone is unlocked or something??if i upgrade the firmware will it get locked??

My current firmware is 1.5, whats the latest version i can upgrade too??in case it gets locked...can i unlock it in someway???

Also that what is ROM in android??my current build is 2.73.110.26 do i need to upgrade it as well??

Waiting for your response on this. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Your phone is unlocked, and updating the phone wouldn't change that.

But you've got the most recent firmware/build for your phone anyway (Although we're all waiting for a new one to be released at the moment).

3. hassan

hassan New Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the reply. Isnt the latest firmware 1.6?So having a tag of T mobile doesnot makes problem for me now...in case the 2.1 firmware comes so i can update without being locked again??

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

HTC haven't released anything above 1.5 for the hero, unfortunately. 2.1 is supposed to be coming out in March though :)

My G2 was never locked, but I'm like 99% sure updating firmware has nothing to do with the phone being network locked/unlocked. I'm sure someone who has unlocked theirs can confirm that when they read this. :)

You will have to wait for T-Mobile to release a branded version of the 2.1 update however, even if your phone is unlocked.

5. starscrean

starscrean New Member

Hello,I too purchased a unlocked HTC HERO GSM,Working on AT&T Network,I live in the USA,.Which does not sell these phones,I was also worried at first about locking my phone,if I attempted any kind of modifications. However I have Rooted my phone played around with the ROM a hole bunch of times. Changed my start up. Even upgraded the radio frequency. Which I suggest you also do,if you decide on rooting your phone,I well provide the link,Updating the radio improved my reception extremely noticeably better,,

22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero - Android @ MoDaCo

6. PXUmais

PXUmais Member

1) As far as I know updating your rom has nothing do yo with unlocking your phone.

2) HTC have only released 1.5 on hero but recently there have told us that they are working on getting 2.1 on to it. So you have got the latest

7. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

1.5 is the latest, 2.1 will come out soon
    upgrading will NOT lock the phone