New to Incredible

1. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

I'm getting my wife an incredible next friday. Wondering what kernel/rom combo I should go with. She isn't going to like Vanilla, she likes her friends Incredible with the sense on it. I need a kernel that will give good battery life. I am on a DX now so I know how to flash stuff. But I need to know what order to flash the rom/kernel/radio in? And what stuff to wipe each time I do it (cache, data, etc). Also, won't a brand new Incredible come with Froyo 2.2 on it already and have the upgraded Radio to 2.15 already? or will I need to upgrade them? Any help is appreciated. I've read around the forums, but I understand that the best thing sometimes is to just ask the questions you need answered, some will flame, most will answer nicely. I know how to root this phone too, so that won't need to be explained. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
    :
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

A new incredible will come with with 2.15 radio, yes. Most of the new ones are SLCD now and because of some differences in screen drivers there are incompatibilities between some of the kernels and the new incredibles. I don't have an SLCD incredible but I have seen threads about it so you might want to do a thread search on "SLCD." The normal sequence is to boot into recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, go into advanced and wipe dalvik cache, choose rom from sdcard and install it, reboot, then boot back into recovery to install the kernal. Some devs recommend wiping davik cache when installing their kernels, some just say "just install it."
  3. SimsDelt

Awesome... so need to check the thread to see if they are slcd compatable. And I don't have to worry about radio now... so if I'm correct I need to load rom first then kernel. Anyone have an opinion on which ROM I should run if my wife likes Sense?
  4. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

Why are you rooting it? Sounds like she'd be perfectly happy with Stock Froyo.

That said, Redemptive is probably my favorite of the Sense ROMs, with Virtuous + IncREDible theme a close second.
  5. SimsDelt

Because I'm gonna need to give her better battery life. I can accomplish that by either rooting and using SetCPU to make profiles or a kernel that is undervolted. The way we overclock/undervolt the DX is totally different so I'm learning a little here. We can't use custom Kernels on our DX so we use setscaling.sh to control voltage/frequencies. I can do all that in SetCPU once I root her, unless y'all know of an easier way.