New to Moment/Android - Root and custom ROM/Kernal questions

Last Updated:

1. froggy16

froggy16 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, my wife and I are due for our Sprint upgrade and I have been doing a lot of phone research. I believe we have both settled on the Moment even though it is an end of life phone for Sprint. Price point is good and I am not interested in the 4G sprint fee.

That being said it seems like the Moment has a lot of problems out of the box ( from what I have read anyway ). I have also read that rooting and installing custom Roms and Kernals ( not exactly sure what that all means :rolleyes: ) can help fix many of those problems and make the Moment a very usable droid phone.

My question...is there a combo program for root or group of programs that include the customs Roms that fix many of these issues? I am not tech savy at all and quite the Android noob. The idea of rooting and installing custom programs makes me sweat...:eek:

Does rooting alone fix the out of the box problems or are certain custom Roms needed to do this ?

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been covered many many times before.

Advertisement
  2. momentandroid

momentandroid Well-Known Member

well it depends. what problems are u refering to?

3. froggy16

froggy16 New Member This Topic's Starter

Well for starters.... Airplane mode, data lockup, battery life, proximity sensor problems, GPS issues... I know I have read others as well but cannot remember now...:rolleyes: Thanks

4. squiddy20

squiddy20 Active Member

Most of the roms found over at sdx will help with battery life. As for the other problems, it's mostly problems with the actual phone, nothing that the rom would fix. The bad part about looking around is you generally only hear the negatives from users, not the positives. Ive had my moment since july, and the only real problems ive had were due to user error. The few times ive used it, my gps works well, ive had very few if any data lockups, and absolutely no problems with airplane mode randomly coming on.
    As for actually rooting your phone, as long as you follow the step by step instructions posted here: http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/163887-samsung-moment-root-guide-updated-7-14-bst-sept-12-2010-a.html, or even the guides on sdx forums, you should be good to go! As for understanding all of this stuff, in my limited experience, it just takes time...

5. Seddy

Seddy Well-Known Member

I've had my Moment since April and I have to agree 100% with squiddy. The only real problem I ran into was the battery life. But I rooted my phone last night with the Radioactive FroYo rom and I must say this bad boy is working wonders. My phone has been unplugged for a little over 3 hours and I still have a full battery. This is definitely something that was not possible with the stock 2.1. The rest of the issues you stated in the original post are really random issues.

I had a data lockup last night and simply rebooted my phone and was good to go. I went to Atlanta back in September and used Google Nav while I was down there and it worked flawlessly. Its definitely better than Sprint Navigation (which was removed when I rooted my device). At times my phone does get stuck in landscape mode when I turn it up-right but all it takes is a slight lean to the right and it'll flip back over. The airplane mode glitch happened to me a few times but a battery pull took care of that.

I really wished Samsung put some more work into this phone because its a GREAT phone, but I guess they got the newer phones to be foused on so Im really not going to complain. But in general, rooting is the best way to go (and this is coming from a Sprint Rep). I thought rooting was harder than it actually is. It only took me approx 10 minutes to root it. I say, if you can find a couple of Moments (since they've removed it from Sprint.com - haven't really checked any stores) go for it and root it! You wont be disappointed.