• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to phone technology

RockGypsy

Lurker
Sep 7, 2010
Hi All,

Just joined the forum. I'm new to all this phone technology. Previously lived in a remote area and you couldn't get smart phones there :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new phone for my business. I take lots and lots of calls. Sometimes multiple calls at the same time. The business used to run an i-mate PDA2K. It was good untill it died :(

So now I'm looking for a similar phone with these features:
- long battery life,
- good call waiting options,
- uses a stylus keypad rather than finger push screen or button type

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appericate the ideas.

Thanks and nice to join the community.

Cheers,
Rock Gypsy

Hi All,

Just joined the forum. I'm new to all this phone technology. Previously lived in a remote area and you couldn't get smart phones there :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new phone for my business. I take lots and lots of calls. Sometimes multiple calls at the same time. The business used to run an i-mate PDA2K. It was good untill it died :(

So now I'm looking for a similar phone with these features:
- long battery life,
- good call waiting options,
- uses a stylus keypad rather than finger push screen or button type

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appericate the ideas.

Thanks and nice to join the community.

Cheers,
Rock Gypsy

Not sure what you mean by Stylus keypad...?

I have used the Palm Treo smartphone for years, the iPhone and now I am using a Droid 1.

Depending on what you are looking for in a keypad you can probably find what you need in an Android based phone. The iPhone sounds like it would not work for you because it is a touch screen only.

In terms of operating systems, features, capabilities etc I believe that Android phones will be by far the best bet anytime from now until the foreseeable future.

But...
Your device needs almost sound more like a Blackberry or Palm phone.

If you have significant needs or desires for special applications or software on your phone then I would really say an Android phone would be a slam dunk.

I am really only familiar with the Motorola Android phones and I believe some of the new Samsung Android phones may have what you are looking for.

If you clarify your needs a bit more perhaps I can be of more help to you.

Welcome!

And Cheers

:)

Reactions: RockGypsy
Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the problem with the finger touch sensitive on screen keyboards are that they don't pick up my selections. I prefer using a stylus as I can make more accurate selections.

I currently have a HTC desire but this is unfortunately not working out for me :( The call waiting has significant issues that I can't seem to fix. The call waiting seems to keep failing and telling me it needs to force close?????

Does anyone know if the HTC Desire can be used with a stylus?

cheers,

RG :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the problem with the finger touch sensitive on screen keyboards are that they don't pick up my selections. I prefer using a stylus as I can make more accurate selections.

I currently have a HTC desire but this is unfortunately not working out for me :( The call waiting has significant issues that I can't seem to fix. The call waiting seems to keep failing and telling me it needs to force close?????

Does anyone know if the HTC Desire can be used with a stylus?

cheers,

I would suggest that you will probably find the solution not with a stylus, but instead with a physical qwerty keyboard. I am in a pretty similar boat. I came from the Treo 650/700 with a very nice qwerty keyboard (like many Blackberry devices too) and went to the iPhone with a "virtual" keyboard and disliked it.

So, I went to the Droid 1 largely because of the physical keyboard. I tend to think the Blackberry and Treo still accomplish a keyboard better than the Droid 1 at least.

In an Android phone I tend to think your only good options with a physical keyboard would be the Droid 2 (or are you in Europe...? So Milestone 2 then) but I certainly do not know much about other brands of Android phone and HTC may have something with a qwerty keyboard available.

Stylus operations have gone the way of the Dodo bird I fear.

Reactions: RockGypsy
Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help guys. I am in Australia but I will see if I can locate the phones you have mentioned.

The business used to run an i-mate pocket pc. So I was kind of hoping to find something similar to this :( But it seems technology is heading in a new direction!! lol...

If anyone knows of a place that fixes the old i-mate phones let me know.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
There are a few stylus' out there that'll work with your desire; Google Pogo Stylus for one type, that uses a 'blunt' stylus. I can't recall the name, but there's also a make that uses a clear headed stylus with cross-hairs for accuracy. Both should work with your Desire, and I think they're only about $5

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones