New to Root, Bootstrap, Rom Manager, etc.

Last Updated:

1. charwoods3

charwoods3 Member This Topic's Starter

I have searched and can't seem to find the answers I am looking for so I figured I might make a post to get them all answered together, hopefully.

So I have the leaked 2.2, just rooted, and am trying to figure out how to back it up. I installed bootstrap and Rom Manager, but don't really understand what they do or how to use them.

Bootstrap:
    1. I went into bootstrap and hit the Bootstrap recovery button. A screen pops up that says success. What does this mean?

2. I hit the Reboot Recovery and it popped me into recovery mode where I was able to make a backup of rom and data, is that all there is to it or what?

Rom Manager:
    1. I opened Rom Manager and installed the program it says I need to do a backup, but when I hit "Backup Current Rom", it reboots and does nothing. When I get back it gives me an error message that says it failed. Any ideas on this?

2. What exactly does Rom Manager do in the first place?

Other questions:
    1. Which way is the best way to create a backup?
    2. I hear about flashing to stock, or to do other things, what exactly does this mean? Do I lose my whole layout such as widgets? I keep a lot of sticky notes with information I would hate to lose, is there a way to keep them backed up?
    3. When you do flash, and assuming that you lose all information other than what is on the sd card, can you restore just the data you have backed up from a different Rom? Example: I have 2.2 now, if I flashed to 2.1, can I restore just the data I have saved from 2.2 back to 2.1?
    4. What is Deodex exactly?

Again, sorry for the newb questions, but before I go any further than I am, I would enjoy knowing more than I do about this stuff.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Advertisement
  2. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

Bootstrap is used for.exactly what u did and so you can restore and flash roms and themes. Rom manager makes it.so u can backup too and install roms. Both apps work together kinda. Deodexed is just a type of froyo that.allows for theming. Flashing back to stock requires u to.have a prog called rsd lite and the clean .sbf file(stock like it was out of the box). Hope this clears.some stuff up for you. I'll answer more for u later. At work now and typing on the touchscreen for an extended period of time sucks. Lol. This is a very small and generic answer to your question.

charwoods3 likes this.
  3. charwoods3

charwoods3 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the response. I guess my main question is whether it is possible to keep the data I have, such as info in my sticky notes widget, when I change roms and add other things like deodex. It seems these backup programs are for restoring everything, rom and data, to a former state.