Root New to Root Community. Kernel Info?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AMTrombley0924, Aug 12, 2010.

1. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member
    VIP Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Student, Air Force Cadet
    California
    So I just rooted my FRG01B Droid. I did it mostly to OC my phone so it can run faster and smoother, since it got a big laggy when I force update the Froyo 2.2 FRG01B. However, the stock kernel I have only let's me OC to 800mHz. My Droid is still a bit choppy at times. I am trying to decide on how else I could speed it up.

I was hoping someone could explain custom kernels to me. I have many questions such as:
    -Where do I get them?
    -Which are the most stable/safe that can get me to 1GHz?
    -Is 1 GHz a safe speed for a Droid 1 Processor?
    -Can I get them without using a custom ROM?
    -Do I need to backup my phone before installing a kernel just like I would before doing a ROM?

I just want to understand what kernels are and how they work.

Thank you to anyone who can help! I'm trying to take this new root world slowly. I can't afford to bust this phone right now.

Advertisement
  2. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Stickied thread in this forum - http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/98988-froyo-kernels.html

Each Droid is different and will react differently to a kernel. Try them all and see which one yours prefer? I run ChevyNo1s, no complaints at 1.25Ghz (YMMV). Again, try the kernel and see. Some will happily do 1Ghz, others won't on your handset.

You can try it on a non custom rom. Backups are not really required, but if it's your first time, just nandroid the whole thing first just in case.