• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new to root just a couple of questions...

mikeydingo

Feb 11, 2010
i just saw the new unrevoked way to root and it seems very easy. So before i do it i need some questions answered.

1. If for any reason i need to send my phone back to verizon will i have to unroot it?

2. Once rooted what do i do??

3. And what are the benefits of rooting?

thank you in advanced

1. Yes, unroot it. Instructions on how to do so are stickied in this thread.

2. You can do a lot of stuff! Install Incredilight for a flashlight app for example. Install a hydra kernel (but if you're new, i don't suggest, although it is a very very very easy installation)

3. Benefits are root
-LED Flashlight
-Wireless Tether
-Easy screen capture
-Remove CityID and other stock apps
-Custom ROMs
-Overclock to improve performance/undervolt to improve battery life
-Adfree Android
-Clear caches
-Just because you can

Upvote 0
sounds cool... is there an easy way to make a complete backup of what's on the phone before doing this stuff?

also, will using a charging data cable while rooting or unrooting mess anything up or should i just use a regular data cable? i did my own firmware update on my Voyager awhile back with a charging cable & it worked fine, but i don't want to take any unnecessary risks with my Incredible (like using a cable that could brick it).

Upvote 0
sounds cool... is there an easy way to make a complete backup of what's on the phone before doing this stuff?

also, will using a charging data cable while rooting or unrooting mess anything up or should i just use a regular data cable?

Well you could use Sprite Backup, that should restore everything if you unroot. A regular data cable is the same as charging data cable, i used the one that came with the phone, it works perfectly for everything.

Reactions: neyel8r
Upvote 0
thanks! i found a similar post by you in another thread after searching :) my bad. funny, i used to use sprite backup on my ppc.. didn't know they had it for android. like i said, fairly large noob here.

great to know that a usb charging data cable comes with the phone! i was going to buy one off ebay, but now i don't have to.

Upvote 0
thanks! i found a similar post by you in another thread after searching :) my bad. funny, i used to use sprite backup on my ppc.. didn't know they had it for android. like i said, fairly large noob here.

great to know that a usb charging data cable comes with the phone! i was going to buy one off ebay, but now i don't have to.

Haha yup, always glad to help out. Sprite Backup does cost $4.95 though, just a heads up. I don't know of any free backup utilities either.

Upvote 0
Haha yup, always glad to help out. Sprite Backup does cost $4.95 though, just a heads up. I don't know of any free backup utilities either.

this sounds WAY too simple now that i've thought about it, but couldn't i just plug my Inc into the pc & backup the internal memory as well as my sd card to the pc? then if i wanted to restore my phone to its previous state, couldn't i just delete everything on both drives & restore it with the copies?

edit: nevermind. no system files seem to be in the internal memory... that will not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones