New to root, nand question

Last Updated:

1. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned This Topic's Starter

so I just rooted, I have installed EE and now I'm trying Aloysius, basically i want soft keys to light up, I am curious though when it is necessary to do a nand backup. I did one when going from EE to Aloysius, but I'm curious if i should nand backup once i get Aloysius set?

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

nand backsup EVERYTHING, if you are not using aps2sd it will backup your apps (if you are using aps2sd your apps are on your ext partition of your sd card), settings, screens, widgets, ringers, everything.

so nandroid is a way to basically create a backup rom that is exactly how you want it.

what i do is flash a new rom, set it all up how i like, apps, settings, wallpapers, screens, rings, etc, then make a backup of it.

then if i switch to another rom and want to go back to that one i can easily.

BlazeD OnE likes this.
  3. BlazeD OnE

Perfect thanks so much caddy.
    my only other questions really is, once I am on a ROM, and have done a NAND back-up, can I then delete that ROM off the SD-card..

4. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

Yes. Once you flash that rom you no longer need to keep it on your sd card even if you haven't done a backup. Unless you plan on re-flashing the rom.

Sent from my Aloysius Eris with tapatalk

BlazeD OnE likes this.
  5. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Good thread here. Quick question: when doing a nand backup does it back-up your apps or do you have to do nand + ext to have your apps backed up? Hope I worded that right, I'm a n00b too :)

6. BlazeD OnE

so I tried to nand restore today and It failed. does it have anything to do with me changing the name of the files when i mounted the sd card to the computer?

7. BlazeD OnE

So, I was just able to successfully complete a nand restore from a backup i never changed the file name of. It seems as though changing the name the way I did was the culprit... how can I fix this issue?, as I want to do up weres to 9 different back-ups and will have no clue which are which now.

8. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't change the name of the top-level folder "nandroid", and I suppose I would leave alone the folder named with the Device ID ("HT9...."), but you should be able to re-name the individual backup folders.

Having said that, do not use any special characters in the file name, including spaces. Use only letters, digits, underscores, dashes, and ".".

I usually just stuff the ROM name in the middle of the folder name and leave the BDS- at the front and the timestamps at the end.

[​IMG]

eu1

BlazeD OnE likes this.
  9. BlazeD OnE

Thanks a bunch EU1. That was it. I think my biggest downfall was using spaces!

10. BlazeD OnE

EU1 - I have a quick question for you.

I tried a bunch of ROMs today, all were great, but I did however notice that with fresh 2.1 and one other I can't remember which, I couldnt shut down the phone. every other ROM it wasn't a problem. wasn't sure if you had any insight on this. thanks!

11. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

Some of the Hero ROMs (maybe all of them) have a problem with shutdown. I'm running PureEris 2.0 (PureHero port) and use Reboot Control Widget as a work around. It gives you options to Power Down, Reboot, reboot to Recovery or reboot to Boot Loader.

12. BlazeD OnE

That makes sense, thanks alot hattrick, I appreciate it!

13. erisuser1

Only vaguely - I seem to remember someone commenting over on XDA that it was related to overclocking configurations (settings AND kernel variants) in some ROMs. I wouldn't put any faith in my answer on this, though.

The reality is - and I've said this before (as has pkopalek) - that the further away from the factory code a ROM departs, the more likely that it will have bugs, possibly even fatal (OS crash) bugs. This is especially true of ROM "ports" from other phones, and even applies to "Vanilla" Android ROMs.

HTC only releases the kernel source code, and none of the application, device driver, or proprietary library code. So the devs can't possibly know exactly how they work or interact with other code in the release. When they start mixing and matching stuff from one phone on to another, or use a kernel which is missing the tweaks dealing with specific hardware features of a given phone, odd stuff starts to happen.

People will have different tolerances for how many bugs they are willing to put up with in order to have a "cool" ROM, where "cool" can be defined in about 1000 different ways.

But, you do get to choose, and that's a good thing about having root; once you've spent some time with a couple of different ROMs (days or weeks), let us know what you settled on - and why.

eu1

14. BlazeD OnE

cool thanks alot for the info EU1!

15. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

It looks like you did a wipe. Do you need to do a system wipe every time you restore a nadbackup?

16. BlazeD OnE

So I went and tried out the following ROMs:
    Eris Lighting Bolt
    Evil Eris 2.0.1
    Ic3Rom v2.7
    Aloysius 2.0v12
    Fresh 2.1
    Pure Hero
    Sense-able 3.1
    Tainted Vanilla 1.4
    ZenEXP

I found them all to be great, and made nand back-ups of all.
    I was in love with Aloysius at first, such a great ROM,
    but moved to Sense-able 3.1. absolutely love it. once I deleted the htc lockscreen from grdlocks downloads I'm good to go! couldn't be happier.

17. erisuser1

Good lord, you did that today?

Look out! We've created a monster!

:)

18. erisuser1

Yes.

The only time you don't wipe is if you are doing an overlay update to a specific ROM; that is never the case when restoring Nand backups, as they are always full backups, not incremental.

eu1

19. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Seriously! I'm a school teacher with the next two months off and I couldn't do that much in a week! :)

20. BlazeD OnE

haha seriously I LOVE root I love learning all the new stuff I cant stop.. trying to figure out what the setcpu does and how to remove apps next!