New to rooting looking for

Last Updated:

1. msjr405

msjr405 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok im new to the rooting stuff, been looking into it and have decided that I am prob going to do it. But im looking for something simple. Basicly i want the factory Sprint 2.1 Eclair update(maybe w/o a few sprint apps), live wallpapers, and the ability to do wireless tethering. Does anyone know of a ROM that is close to this that i can look into to contemplate rooting tonight. thanks guys

Advertisement
  2. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

3. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

Consider the SDX custom ROM builder. An easy way to make a stable rom with just the features you want. It includes the instructions for the initial root and custom recovery install and this thread shold help with "component" choices. Once your comfortable with rooting and flashing, you may choose to try out some of the more cutting edge stuff like Radioactive and Titanium x. Those roms add newer features and speed, sometimes at the cost of a little stability.

4. msjr405

Thanks guys I'll look them both over, I seen the sdx custom rom builder which is pretty cool.

5. msjr405

Hey Pasta so if I use the sdk custom rom builder and I save it to the sd card all I have to do is run the phone in recovery mode and run that .zip file and that's it?

6. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

yup. i have made and loaded about 5 or 6 custom roms (and laid them over top each other without inceident i might add) is the best way to fully customize. if your looking for pure speed and no cosmetic frills, radioactive froyo is the way to go

7. msjr405

Damn lol i thought it would be more complicated(i guess i was making it harder). i think im going to try it today, with it being that easy.

And last question(maybe lol) since i have the DE03 2.1 update, do i need to download a diff recovery or is the factory one just fine?

Thanks again

8. rrsweet

rrsweet Member

Sounds like custom ROM builder is the way to go for you hope you enjoy!

9. msjr405

Ran into a slight prob that im sure is simple to fix. I downloaded the custom ROM i created placed the .zip file onto the sdcard right under the "android","dcim", and "lost.dir".

I ran the phone in recovery mode, select "Apply Update.zip", but it said that it was unable to find it :confused:. so am i placing the .zip file into the wrong place on the sdcard?

10. rrsweet

rrsweet Member

File should just go onto the root of the SD card. So as long as it's there Not sure what to say other than give it another shot. Unless you see an sdx folder then it's likely in there.

11. msjr405

I tried it again and had the same luck it said this :confused::

# MANUAL MODE #
    -- Istall from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:faled to open /sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

12. msjr405

GOT IT!!! happy to, got it working just have to figure out which kernal i need to apply to be able to use the m900 wireless tethering :D

13. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

Yeah I actually installed the Radioactive then used the custom rom builder to change a few things after and it has been working great.

14. msjr405

Hey guys I installed the new kernal and now the m900 teathering is allowing me to open it with no probs, but its still not working :confused: . It just says "unable to start teathering, please try again". Any idea's on it?

Thanks again