New to rooting? What is rooting? i need help

Last Updated:

1. eRky

eRky Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, i need help.
    What is rooting?

Im using Samsung Galaxy S. Heard that when you root your phone, the phone will be flying fast. So what other features do you get when you root.

I just installed z4root on phone but have not yet root it.
    I wonder if you root a phone will it void the warranty?
    If rooted, can i un-root it? Save ?

Thanks very much

Advertisement
    chickusmc05 likes this.
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Since Android phones are built on the Linux operating system, rooting is a term borrowed from the Linux world. In a nutshell when you root a phone you gain administrator (super user) access to the phone. This provides you the ability to modify the operating system, change themes, etc.

Technically, rooting a phone can void your phones warranty. Most wireless providers don't really want their subscribers to root their smartphones. You can unroot a phone however. Once you've unrooted the phone delete the files associated with the attempt and there's little the carrier can easily do to see if the phone has been previously rooted.

chickusmc05 likes this.
  3. eRky

Hi thank you very much for the info. So i've "z4 root" on my phone, there's two options , "Permanent Root" and "Temporary Root". Whats the difference? Can a permanent root be unrooted?

if so how do i delete the files so "Samsung" would not know it? Thank you very much

4. Martimus

Temporary root lasts till the next hardware reboot.
    Permanent root lasts until the device is unrooted.

To clean things up I believe you simply need to unroot and then uninstall the app.

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

chickusmc05 likes this.
  5. eRky

Thanks for the info.
    im still scared it will break the phone or void the warranty.

6. Martimus

Rooting in and of itself should, famous last word here, pose minimal risk to your phone. That said there's always going to be a bit of risk involved when doing something invasive to your phone.

Installing custom ROM's poses a more tangible risk. With many Android phones accessing the Recovery menu is a product of firmware so bricking the phone becomes more more difficult to do.

If you read through the Galaxy S "All things Root" forum it'll give you further information on the process and the risks...

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s-all-things-root/

7. mpiechotka

mpiechotka New Member

(I'm not a lawer and the following in any case should not be threated as legal advice)

Sorry - but what is the exact base of this claim - except that the manufacture claims so? In many cases part or whole of EULA in not enforcable by local law and may be overruled by court.

For example take iPhone in which the jailbreaking was declared legal and, from what I understood, do not break the warranty. I heard about the rooting as less intrusive and hence it could be claimed that it follows the same rules.

It is also claimed that it may be legal to jailbreak the iPhone in the UK - and on similar bases it may be legal to root Android.

To sum up - it may void the warranty but it is necessary to check the local law.

8. Martimus

Forgive me but I feel compelled to correct something... it's typically the manufacturers and carriers who claim that intrusive modding violates their respective warranties!

Whether or not it's legally enforcable isn't really the point. Most people, myself included, aren't in a financial position to litigate the point. Litigation tends to be long and drawn out and can cost thousands of dollars if not millions in legal fees.

In the U.S., the Digital Millenium Copyright Act was put into place to protect copyrighted materials. It was more recently amended to allow consumers some additional latitude when it comes to our electronic devices.

U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Appendix B

Just recently however, a US District judge ruled that the Fair Use provision of the DMCA could not be used to justify the actions of a California man who modified the disk drives of his XBOX 360's. This does not bode well for modders who try to justify their actions under the Fair Use provision of the DMCA.

Xbox modder can't claim fair use, says judge ? The Register

Oh and it looks like something similar may be on the horizon for the UK...

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2010/mar/3/uks-dmca-clause-17-falls-what-cost/

chickusmc05 likes this.
  9. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the android forums glad to have you here. I see that you have already got a lot of info about rooting but 1 part that you put in your intro wasn't covered. Rooting does not make your phone "flying fast" as you put it. All rooting does is give you administrator rights per say..there are other things like kernels for example that speed your phone up..just saying

10. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums, the greatest place on the webernet!!

11. Haikuguy

Haikuguy Well-Known Member

Hi all

I'm kinda confused-
    as a former iphone owner and a current iphone hater I've been really drooling over the Desire HD in the past month- since I've never had an android phone and was sick of the attitude of "it's apple way or the highway".
    I guess I didn't know enough about Android- I thought it's a wonderful world that I can fully customize to my own needs.

so only now I've found out (don't laugh) that every android phone comes with a list of stupid apps that the carrier has been gracious enough to force upon you, and to remove them you need to root (unlock) the phone, which can void your warranty.

so my question is- what the hell is the difference from the crappy iphone then?

and is it true that the nexus one is the only phone that doesn't come with a list of apps I can't get rid of?

12. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Hi! Welcome to the Android Forums!

13. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Well the difference is you can get rid of it..oh yea and not be held back by a fruity phone

14. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Would get more response if you started a thread/asked in the Android Lounge. Short answer; those apps aren't hurting anything and at the most stay inactive and use NO cpu, to me that is totally different circumstances. (my opinion of course)