New to Rooting

Last Updated:

1. Pardoned88

Pardoned88 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.

I've just rooted my phone using the unrevoked3 method. Everything seems to have worked fine.

But I was wondering if there's anything else I need to add. I've read about maybe having to flash a new radio and things like that. Problem is - I've no idea what that means. Should I ever have to update the radio or anything? How will I know to update the ROM? Is there OTA update for them?

I'm using the Miui ROM. Version 0.9.30. My Baseband is 5.09.05.30_2. I've read that this is something to do with the radio...

Is there anything that I should install to improve this ROM or anything? Anything anyone would recommend me try adding for this ROM - like any different tweaks?

I'm grateful for any help regarding this because, as I said, I've no idea what any of that means. However, the Miui Rom is awesome! Battery lasts a lot longer than froyo, and it's a lot more fluid and it seems, generally, a lot more fun.

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

To upgrade to a new version of miui, all you have to do is flash the new zip.

To change to a different ROM, perform backups, do a factory reset and then flash a radio and the ROM. Some ROMs, like Defrost and OpenDesire have ota update functionality.

3. Pardoned88

Hi Jammy! Thanks for getting back to me.

So, all I need to do is get the update for Miui and just install it through something like ROM manager? I don't need to factory reset my phone or anything - or delete the old version of MIUI? How should I know that a new version has been released? Whenever I update can I safely delete the old zip file from my SD card?

By installing a new version I won't lose any of my data or have to set the phone up again? Should I ever need to wipe everything off the phone?

Also, how would I find out that I might need to update the radio? (what is that exactly?) Do the ROMs not come with a preinstalled radio? I'm always seeing people with different baseband numbers to mine - does that matter?

If I need to update the radio do I need to do it before installing a ROM? Or can I just do it after installing a ROM - if and when i need to.

I keep on seeing people phones on here with cool status bar battery symbols and different colored wifi symbols. Can I add things like this on MIUI. Or are those additions linked to whatever ROMs you install?

Is there anything I should never do when installing different ROMs? Likewise - is there anything I should always do?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for all the questions. As I said - I'm not really clued up on what I'm doing here.

Cheers

4. Pardoned88

BUMP!

Anyone?

5. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member