new to rooting

Last Updated:

1. zaxos

zaxos Member This Topic's Starter

I want to root my phone but am afraid. there are so many guides and mods out there im not sure which one is right and which one is outdated. i stumbled onto this guide.....How to root a T-Mobile G1 and myTouch 3G Android phone – Android and Me. can anyone tell me if its accurate,what do you guys recommend i do. what is the easiest,fastest,and safest way to root my phone. thanks

Advertisement
  2. zaxos

by the way i have a mytouch 3g. t-mobile.

3. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

I just scanned through it, but I'd say it looks accurate and easy to follow.

4. kski

kski Member

5. zaxos

yea i was looking over that, it just looks much more complicated than the android and me guide. ill compare the two. is the cyanogen mod the best mod to go with?

6. jfritzs2

jfritzs2 Well-Known Member

Here is the Cyanogenmod Wiki in a nutshell -

1. Backup SD Card
    2. Mount SD card and add Sappimg.nbh file that you get from the website onto your sdcard
    3. Restart your phone while holding down volume down and power. Run the update and push the trackball in to activate this.
    4. Now you will have firmware 1.5 on your phone. Install Flashrec (another file from the website) with "App Installer" app from the market.
    5. Backup your Recovery Image and then flash a new one, I suggest the AmonRa Recovery Image To flash this to your phone you need to add it to the root (not in a folder) of your sd card type the filename of the download into the textbox select to flash the custom recovery image.
    6. All done.
    7. Since you used the AmonRa recovery image you can reboot while holding down the home button and power.
    8. Now in the recovery image go to the wipe menu and wipe every option.
    9. Next, go to the partition menu and select to partition. Set Swap to 0, and Ext 2 to however much room you want, this is where your apps will install to if Apps2SD are used in the rom. Let it partition. Then select ext2 to ext3. Let it do its stuff.
    10. Select USB Toggle and mount your phone,add the rom to your sd card, then unmount your phone by pressing home.
    11. Select to flash zip from sd card from the recovery image menu. If your rom calls for the DRC83 flash that first, then your rom.
    Now, completely done. Reboot. Enjoy.

Flash themes for your rom the same way, but do that after the first reboot. Also do not unzip the roms you use, just put them onto your SD card.

Correct me if I'm missing anything, I just tried from memory. I'm just trying to say that the Wiki Can be intimidating, but don't worry it also can be broken down into something very simple.

zaxos likes this.
  7. zaxos

thanks man.

8. kski

kski Member

9. zaxos

do i want non ram hack or ram hack?

10. zaxos

also i noticed in the step by step "nutshell" guide, it says nothing about base defanged. do i need that?

11. jfritzs2

jfritzs2 Well-Known Member

The ram hack version will boost your ram memory and so you're phone will have more to access making it run faster, however it will be taking this ram from the 3D video which affects your 3D intense games, so if you are really into games on your phone don't flash the ram hack version else your games, not all games, will be laggy.

Also, whenever I mentioned DRC83 that is DRC83_base_defanged file. Not all roms need this file, only if the developer of the rom decided he didn't want to put the google apps into it in order to make it completely legal. The only roms I know that need DRC83_base_defanged are SuperD and Cyanogenmod.